Univeristy of KentuckySee Blue

UK Campus Housing

Living on Campus


A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P
Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

Abandoned Property

Students are encouraged to keep personal items secure in their residence hall rooms. Public areas of the residence halls, including lounges, community bathrooms, hallways, etc., are not intended for storage of personal belongings. If students leave their personal belongings in these areas, they will be warned by a staff member to remove the items. If students continue to leave items in public areas despite warnings from the staff, the items will be considered abandoned property and may be removed or disposed of by the staff.

When students move out of their rooms, either during the academic year or when the year ends, they are encouraged to check their rooms carefully to ensure that all personal items have been removed. Once a student is no longer occupying a room, any items left in that room will be considered abandoned property and may be removed or disposed of by the staff. The Offices of Residence Life and Campus Housing are not responsible for any items left in the residence halls.

Academic Suspension

Students who are suspended for academic reasons at the end of the fall semester MUST contact the Housing Office prior to the first day of class Spring Semester to prevent being assessed a no-show fee for the spring term.

Alcohol Policy

The University desires to provide an environment where alcohol consumption by underage students is neither encouraged nor made available and further, to promote alcohol education and counseling programs. Consistent with this philosophy, the University expects compliance with the following regulations:

  1. Use of alcoholic beverages on University of Kentucky property must not violate state or local laws.
  2. Alcoholic beverages are not permitted in classrooms, laboratories, offices, other buildings where the public has access, or any outdoor areas of the campus.
  3. Alcoholic beverages are not permitted in undergraduate housing leased from and supervised by the University [regardless of a student's age]. This includes residence halls, fraternities, and sororities.

The intent of this regulation is the promotion and maintenance of an environment conducive to study for its residents, the vast majority of whom are under twenty-one years of age. Violation of this regulation may result in discipline under the Student Code of Conduct or termination of the housing contract, or both.

If residents or guests of the residence halls are found with alcohol in their possession, they will be asked by the residence hall staff to dispose of the alcohol by pouring it out, and their behavior will be documented for follow-up by the Hall Director. Students in undergraduate university housing will be found in violation of this policy if they (1) possess alcohol, (2) exhibit drunken behavior, or (3) remain in a room in which others are drinking alcohol or in which alcohol is in plain sight. For social occasions, registered student organizations are expected to comply with all University regulations and to abide by University guidelines for event planning published by the Dean of Students. Student officers of such organizations will be held accountable for compliance by members and guests.

back to top

Appliances and Electrical Items

Prohibited Items:
Because the University takes very seriously the safety of everyone in the undergraduate housing facilities, we cannot allow students to bring certain items into their room or into the building. During fire and safety inspections, university officials will require the removal of prohibited appliances or materials including but not limited to:

  • Appliances with exposed burners or heating elements, such as hot plates, toasters, etc.*
  • Portable heaters
  • Deep fryer
  • Electric skillet*
  • Wok*
  • Immersion coils for heating water
  • Ovens or stoves
  • Combustible liquids and other materials
  • Candles
  • Incense and incense burners
  • Halogen lamps and lights
  • Power tools
  • Camping stoves
  • Crock pots*
  • Bacon fryers*
  • Grills (such as George Foreman Grills* or charcoal grills), and
  • Sunlamps
  • Bicycles
  • Lamps with plastic shades
  • Air-conditioners
  • Items used to loft a bed

Approved Items:
All electrical appliances permitted in the residence halls must be UL-listed for their intended use.

  • Coffee pots, electric blankets, fans, computer equipment, televisions, VCRs, stereo equipment, hairdryers, refrigerators and microwave ovens are permitted.
  • Appliances such as clothing irons, electric rollers, curling irons, etc., must be turned OFF before leaving the room.
  • Appliance cords serving appliances must be in good condition.
  • Hazardous conditions arising from defective, or improperly used appliances must be corrected immediately.
  • Microwaves are provided for student use in approved areas in each residence hall.
  • Microwaves must be plugged directly into a wall outlet.
  • Surge protectors are permitted for sensitive equipment.
  • Surge protectors may not be plugged into another surge protector.

While students are encouraged to make reasonable additions to their living space to make it more comfortable, students must understand that the use of multiple electrical appliances in a room may place a strain on the building's electrical system. Therefore, students are asked to limit their use of electrical appliances in order to avoid overloads. A student may be required to remove any appliance from a residential living facility if it causes repeated problems with a building's electrical systems, or presents a safety hazard.

Microwaves and Refrigerators or Combination Microwave and Refrigerator Units Residents may have one microwave per room providing it meets the following conditions:

  1. Microwave maximum output is 700 watts of cooking power
  2. The microwave is plugged directly into an outlet
  3. The microwave is used to prepare snack-type items only
  4. The microwave, for safety reasons, is not plugged in or placed inside a closet or other enclosed space

Residents may have ONE refrigerator or a combination microwave and refrigerator unit in a residence hall room providing it meets the following conditions:

  1. The refrigerator occupies no more than 5.0 cubic feet
  2. The refrigerator is kept clean for sanitary reasons
  3. A combination microwave and refrigerator units must contain an internal mechanism preventing the refrigerator/freezer from operating simultaneously with the microwave
  4. Between semesters, the refrigerator is cleaned, defrosted, and unplugged
  5. The refrigerator, for safety reasons, is not plugged in or placed inside a closet or other enclosed space

Due to power consumption levels residents are allowed to have one microwave and one refrigerator per room or apartment, or may have a combination microwave and refrigerator unit in their residence hall room.

Microwaves: when not properly used or monitored microwaves have caused the activation of the fire detection and alarm systems.

For more information about Microfridges, see Collegiate Marketing at www.bedloft.com

Bed Rails/Ladders

Students who wish to have a bed rail or ladder for their bunk bed may send a maintenance request electronically to: Fixit@lsv.uky.edu indicating their desire to have one issued to their room.


Bicycling on Campus and Beyond

Biking as a mode of transportation has a number of advantages: it's good for you and the environment, saves you money and is often faster than other ways of getting around.

The University of Kentucky is committed to educating its community about safe bicycling practices and improving bicycle facilities on campus through the Bicycle Advisory Committee. To learn more about these efforts and about upcoming BAC events, visit www.sustainability.uky.edu/BAC.

Here is a list of campus and community bike resources to help you get started on two wheels!

Bicycle Parking and Registration

The University of Kentucky recognizes the bicycle as a vehicle and encourages bicycling as a mode of transportation. In an effort to provide the campus community with a safe, secure, and efficient cycling environment, the University requires bicyclists to observe established regulations for operating and parking bicycles and campus and strongly encourages cyclists to obtain and display a bicycle permit, available at no charge. Visit www.uky.edu/pts for more information.

Bike racks are located in front of most residence halls and classroom buildings, totaling nearly 2,800 bicycle spaces on campus. Bicycle racks should be used at all times; do not chain bikes to benches, trees, handrails or telephone poles. As with cars, bikes can be impounded if they are parked in violation.

All Lextran and some CATS buses are equipped with bicycle racks for your convenience.

back to top

Break Housing (Thanksgiving, Winter Break, Spring Break)

Residence halls are closed during the three stated recesses of the University (Thanksgiving, Winter, and Spring Break.) Students who require housing during any of these three periods must be assigned permanently to Smith, Roselle, or Kirwin Tower. (Students living in any of the other residence halls will not be allowed to move temporarily into break housing. They must be permanently assigned there). Special consideration for assignment to the break halls will be given to out-of-state and international applicants. The University reserves the right to deny assignment to this special area if a student does not qualify. If you require break housing, indicate it by checking the correct box on your housing application. The German House stays open year round.

Bus Service

The CATS Bus & Cat Tracker

Students do not pay a fare when riding the Lextran campus buses and the Campus Area Transit System (CATS) shuttle buses; support for these bus services comes from parking permit fees. All Lextran and CATS buses are equipped with wheelchair lifts, and most have bicycle racks. With the exception of the Summer/Break Route, all Lextran and campus routes operate during the fall and spring semesters when UK is in official session.

All students and their guests may ride the Lextran campus buses between central campus, residence halls, and Commonwealth Stadium between 7 A.M. and 6:15 P.M., Monday through Friday. Lextran bus service begins on Wednesday at the start of undergraduate classes in August and January, and operates on weekdays. The Lextran campus buses run about five minutes apart during peak hours for classes, and about ten minutes apart during off-peak hours.

The University provides additional day and night routes for those areas of campus not served by Lextran. The Red and Blue day routes operate Monday through Friday between 7 A.M. and 6 P.M., with stops every 15 minutes. The Yellow Night Route operates Monday through Friday, with stops every 15 minutes between 6 P.M. and 10 P.M., and every 30 minutes between 10 P.M. and midnight.

PTS knows that's a lot to keep straight, so they offer the Cat Tracker, a GPS-based bus locating system! Visit http://uky.transloc.com to see when the next bus is coming to your stop. You can also track the buses via the Transloc iPhone, Android and BlackBerry apps, by using your smart phone to scan the QR codes found on each bus stop sign or by using the SMS codes found at each bus stop.

On-demand night service is available for students who need transportation around campus. Students may telephone the driver directly at (859) 221-RIDE (7433) to make pick-up requests. The bus driver will make every effort to accommodate reasonable requests. Calls must be received at least 30 minutes prior to the end of on-demand service. The schedule for on-demand service is as follows:

Sunday 7 P.M. - Midnight
Monday- Thursday Midnight - 5 A.M.

When the University is open but classes are not in session, the Summer/Break route operates Monday through Friday, from 7:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. with stops every 30 minutes.

Lexington Bus Service

Students who live off campus may find riding a Lextran city bus to and from campus is more convenient and less expensive than parking on campus. Lextran offers the Class Pass, a student pass providing unlimited Lextran rides throughout the city. Class Passes are $75 for the school year or $50 per semester (prices subject to change). For the convenience of students, Class Passes are available for sale at each of the PTS offices. For more information on the Class Pass, Lextran routes and schedules, visit Lextran's Web site at www.lextran.com or call (859) 255-7756.

PTS Car Sharing

Don't have a car? Use ours! The PTS car sharing program offers short-term, low-cost car rental to anyone age 18 and older. For just $8-$10 per hour, members of the campus community can choose from a wide variety of Smartway-certified green vehicles with GPS navigation. The cost includes fuel, insurance and maintenance. Cars are located around campus in high traffic areas; car sharing spaces are reserved 24 hours a day. Visit www.uky.edu/Parking/car-sharing.html for more details and to sign up today!

PTS Ride Home Express

PTS offers an alternative travel option for students and employees in visiting a variety of destinations during academic breaks. The PTS Ride Home Express operates at the start and end of Thanksgiving, Winter, and Spring Breaks. The PTS Ride Home Express provides reliable, comfortable, and affordable transportation to and from hometowns or break destinations during the three major academic breaks. The program offers significantly cheaper fares than airlines and faster travel times than other major bus companies. In the event that the minimum number of riders is not met, routes or stops along the routes may be eliminated.

Round-trip fares for the PTS Ride Home Express begin at just $55, with prices varying based on the final destination. For more information, visit www.uky.edu/pts/buses-and-shuttles_ride-home-express.

Card Access (Twenty-Four Hour Controlled Access)

All undergraduate students living on campus will have twenty-four hour access to the residence hall that they live in. Guests may gain access to the halls through the use of telephones located at each building. Each building has a card reader located next to the main entrance (as well as selected interior) doors. Students can access the buildings by sliding their student ID card through the slot of the card reader. All other visitors must use the exterior door phones to contact the resident they wish to visit. Because these phones also have direct access to the University of Kentucky Police Department, they may be used as emergency telephones 24 hours per day. The resident is responsible for escorting his/her guest at all times within the hall.

Cancellation Request of Housing Application

If, after completing a Housing Application and Rental Agreement, a Student chooses to cancel the Agreement, the Student is required to do so in writing to the Undergraduate Assignments Office in room 125 of the Funkhouser Building. Cancellations may be done in person, by fax (859-257-6453), by email (ukhousing@email.uky.edu) through the University Housing Portal, or by mail to the following address:

UK Campus Housing
125 Funkhouser Bldg.
Lexington, KY 40506-0054

The date the cancellation notification is received in the Undergraduate Assignments Office will be the Official Date of Cancellation. Students who choose to cancel their Housing Application will be charged according to the following circumstances:

  1. Fall Semester Cancellation Schedule:
  2. For students who have lived in University housing previously and are applying to return (Returning Students):

    • Once assignment is received, no cancellation fee if cancellation is received by January 1st.
    • 20% of the assigned housing rate for the fall semester for cancelling from January 2nd – April 1st.
    • 25% of the assigned housing rate for the fall semester for cancelling from April 2nd – June 1st.
    • 50% of the assigned housing rate for the fall semester for cancelling June 2nd or anytime thereafter. Also the prorated charge for each day from the fall move-in date to the date on which Student has provided written cancellation notification for cancelling by September 1st. This rate also applies to students who apply for on-campus housing and then never move in to the housing facilities - No Shows.
    • Full housing and dining charges (at assigned hall and plan rates) for cancelling after September 1st.

    For students who have never before lived in University housing (New Students):

    • No cancellation fee if cancellation is received by June 1st.
    • 20% of the traditional hall rate for the fall semester for cancelling from June 2nd – July 1st.
    • 25% of the traditional hall rate for the fall semester for cancelling by July 2nd – August 1st.
    • 50% of the assigned housing rate for the fall semester plus the prorated charge for each day from the fall move-in date to the date on which Student has provided written cancellation notification for cancelling by September 1st. This rate also applies to students who apply for on-campus housing and then never move in to the housing facilities - No Shows.
    • Full housing and dining charges (at assigned hall and plan rates) for cancelling after September 1st.
  3. Spring Semester Cancellation Schedule (This Schedule applies only to Students who are applying for the first time for On-Campus Housing. It does not apply to Students who lived in On-Campus Housing during the fall semester):
    • No charge for cancelling by January 1st for the spring semester
    • 25% of the Traditional Hall Rate for the spring semester for cancelling by January 15th.
    • 50% of the Assigned Housing and Dining Rates for the fall semester plus the prorated charge for each day from the fall move-in date to the date on which Student has provided written cancellation notification for cancelling by February 1st. This rate also applies to Students who apply for On-Campus Housing and then never move in to the Housing Facilities - No Shows.
    • Full housing and dining charges (at assigned hall and plan rates) for cancelling after February 1st.
  4. Summer Semester Cancellation Schedule:
    • 4-week and 1st 6-week sessions
      • No Charge for cancelling by April 15th.
      • 25% of the Assigned Housing Facility Rate for the applicable summer session for cancelling after April 15th.
    • 8-week and 2nd 6-week sessions
      • No Charge for cancelling by May 15th.
      • 25% of the Assigned Housing Facility Rate for the applicable summer session for cancelling after May 15th.

The Traditional Hall Rate refers to the current rate charged for the full semester in Tradition Residence Halls with Air-Conditioning. The Assigned Hall Rate refers to the full rate charged for the specifics residence hall, apartment greek house or specialty house to which the student was assigned. The Undergraduate Housing Rate Schedule is available at http://www.uky.edu/Housing or by request from the Undergraduate Housing Assignment Office.

Conduct During Finals Week

All residents are expected to move out of their hall on the same day as their last final. Those residents who violate residence hall policies during finals week will face immediate disciplinary action and may be asked to leave the hall. The housing contract expires at the completion of the student's last examination of the spring semester.


When a vacancy occurs in an assigned room, the remaining resident must agree to accept another assigned roommate, move into another room if requested, or pay an additional charge for single occupancy (as stated in the housing contract).

back to top

Contract Cancellation

Students may be required to withdraw from the residence halls for certain violations of residence hall policy, as described in this handbook and in the housing contract itself. Should a student have their housing contract cancelled due to violations of residence hall policy, this will be treated as if the student voluntarily broke their housing contract without justification. Therefore, financial arrangements and fees will be the same as if the student liquidated their contract. Please see the provisions for contract liquidation in your housing contract for more information.

Damage to Public Areas

Public areas of the residence halls (the lounges, hallways, kitchens, elevators, stairwells, lobbies, etc.) are designed for the use and enjoyment of all residents and their guests. When everyone helps maintain these areas, they remain in good, clean, and usable condition. But if there is a problem, the following policies apply:

  1. Damage to public areas or to furnishings in a residence hall is the responsibility of the residents of that hall.
  2. When the individual(s) responsible for damage can be identified, that individual will be held financially responsible for the cost of repair or replacement of the damaged item and may be subject to university disciplinary action.
  3. When the individual(s) responsible for the damage cannot be identified, the residents of the hall in which the damage occurred become collectively responsible for the cost of repair or replacement of the damaged item. In these situations, the money for repair or replacement comes from the Damage Incentive Fund for that hall, depleting money that all residents have contributed for improvements to the hall. For more information about the Damage Incentive Program, please see your hall director.
  4. When damages are extreme or repetitive, the floor or unit involved may also be subject to group disciplinary action.

back to top

Damage to Student Rooms

Student rooms and furnishings must be returned to their original condition at the end of the spring semester, or whenever a student moves out. If a room requires restoration or repair before it can be assigned to another student, the cost for this work will be billed to the immediate past residents of that room. The work may include painting, repair to walls and ceilings, and the repair or replacement of furnishings. When students move in to any room, they will receive a Room Condition Report from their RA indicating the condition of the room at move-in. Students should carefully examine their room and make certain that the Room Condition Report for their room is accurate. When students move out of their room, their RA will check the room again, and note any changes in the condition of the room on the same Room Condition Report. The student will then be charged for the cost of returning the room to its original condition. (Please see also "Room Condition Report").


We recognize that your room is your home. However, we ask residents to bear in mind that each room will eventually become someone else's home. Painted surfaces must not be damaged by nails or double stick tape. Non-removable decals should not be applied to any surface. Decorative materials must not present a safety or public health hazard. Candles or other open flames are prohibited. Nothing can be attached to the ceilings. Failure to comply with these rules may result in charges at the end of the year. (Please see "Damage to Student Rooms.") For fire safety reasons, combustible materials must NOT be used for decorations; e.g., cotton, paper, straw, etc. All decorations, including Christmas trees, must be UL-listed as flame retardant. Christmas tree lights must be UL-listed for the intended use. Decorations must NOT obstruct exits, emergency lighting, exit signs, or corridors. Exterior decorations, other than lights, must NOT be attached to the building. All decorations must be removed prior to holiday vacations.

back to top

Employment for Students

The offices of Campus Housing, Auxiliary Services, UK Dining, and Residence Life offer hundreds of on-campus jobs for UK students. These jobs include such things as Resnet Consultant, Dining Services Worker, Dining Services Supervisor, Front Desk Clerk, Recycling Associate, and Resident Advisor. Please consult your Hall Director or a Dining Services Manager if you are interested in these positions.

Fire Safety

Safety is a primary concern in the residence halls and requires a cooperative effort from all those who live in and work in the halls. The following rules must be observed in all university residence halls, apartments, and Greek houses:

  1. General Safety
    • Stairwell fire doors and corridor doors must be maintained in an operable condition and must be self-closing and self-latching.
    • Smoke alarms, emergency lighting, and exit signs must NOT be damaged or tampered with in any manner.
    • Stairwells, corridors, and passageways must NOT be obstructed.
    • Flammable liquids, such as gasoline, paint thinner, charcoal lighter fluid, propane gas, etc., are NOT permitted inside the building.
    • Candles are NOT permitted
    • Incense and incense burners are NOT permitted
    • Cooking is NOT allowed in student rooms.
    • Bicycles and motorized equipment, except those needed by students with disabilities, are NOT permitted inside residential buildings and may be removed from the premises by the UK Police.
  2. Student Rooms
    • Subdivision of rooms with partitions is NOT permitted.
    • Beds must NOT be enclosed in any manner.
    • Elevated beds (i.e. bunk beds or lofts) not provided by the university are prohibited. In residence halls where elevated beds are provided, students may not place any item (i.e. refrigerators, microwaves, storage, etc.) under the beds. For more information about lofts, contact Collegiate Marketing at www.bedloft.com.
      • Only a study carrel is permitted beneath an elevated bed.
      • The maximum height allowed for a bed is 66 inches at the top of the mattress.
    • The number of pieces of furniture must be appropriate to the size of the room.
      • Furniture must NOT block access from a bed to the corridor door.
  3. Electrical Issues
    • Electrical equipment must be maintained and used in a safe manner.
    • Regular extension cords (flexible cords) must NOT be used.
    • Surge protectors that are grounded and have a built-in 15-amp circuit protection may be used.
      • Surge protectors must be UL listed and may NOT be plugged into other surge protectors.
      • The cord must NOT be run under the carpet, through walls, under doors, or any other place that would subject it to physical damage.
      • Damaged cords must be discarded.
    • Surge protectors may not be plugged into another surge protector.
    • Multi-plug adapters must NOT be used.
    • Air-freshener plug-ins (e.g., Glade™ plug-ins) with a built-in "outlet" (plug) may be used only if the outlet (plug) in the air-freshener is not used.

Each undergraduate housing facility has an evacuation plan in the event of a fire. Please consult the back of your door for information concerning the nearest exit. Your RA will be able to instruct you on the predetermined plan for evacuation. When an alarm sounds you must lock your room door, and quickly but calmly proceed to the evacuation area. You may not use the elevators during a fire or fire drill.

Fire drills, false alarms, and genuine fire alarms are indistinguishable. You MUST evacuate the building whenever the alarm sounds and you may not reenter until the all-clear signal is given. Fire drills are conducted early in each semester.

back to top

Getting Along With Your Roommate(s)

Your enjoyment of residence hall living depends largely on the consideration you and your roommate(s) show each other. If there is one factor that is the most important determinant of roommate success, that factor is communication. Roommates need to communicate with each other. An ideal opportunity for this communication exists at the beginning of the year, when residence hall staff distribute the roommate "contracts". These "contracts" initiate discussion of issues that commonly cause conflict between roommates, such as hours for sleep and study, use of the stereo and TV, guests, etc. We highly recommend that you take the time to talk over these issues with your roommate(s) as the year begins in order to avoid future difficulties. Please consult your RA or Hall Director for help with this process.


Your guests are welcome in the residence hall provided they adhere to University policy during their visit. You are responsible for the conduct of your guests during their time on campus. Please refer to the Visitation Policy for all expectations related to visitation and guests.

Hall Sports and/or Horseplay

The Office of Residence Life does not condone activities that could result in damage to an undergraduate housing facility or accidental injury to residents and guests._The noise from these activities may also negatively impact the living community. Therefore, horseplay and sports activities which include, but are not limited to, food fights, water fights, rollerblading, skateboarding, bike riding, throwing frisbees, hackey sack, football, wrestling, boxing, etc. are prohibited and will not be tolerated in undergraduate housing facilities.


In order to assure the safekeeping of personal property, student rooms or apartments should be kept locked at all times when unoccupied. The University is unable to assume responsibility for personal property. Residents should obtain private insurance coverage for their belongings.

Keys (use of emergency keys)

The room key issued to you when you check-in is University property. It is issued for your use only and is not to be given to other persons. It must be returned if you change rooms or if you move out of the residence hall or apartment. When a student does not return the key upon moving out of their room or apartment, the lock must be re-keyed. A charge is billed to the student for a lock change. Duplicates of the original key will not be accepted. Students should lock their room when leaving. Report a lost key IMMEDIATELY. For your safety and security, either a key replacement or a lock change, as circumstances dictate, will be charged to you. So, closely guard your room key!

Your residence hall/apartment complex keeps one extra copy of your room key at the front desk for emergency use only. If you get locked out of your room and have an urgent need to get in before your roommate returns, you may borrow the emergency key temporarily to gain access to your room. In order to avoid misuse of emergency keys, the following policy has been developed regarding use of these keys:

  1. Emergency keys must be returned to the front desk within 30 minutes after you check them out. If you have an unusual circumstance which requires that you keep the key longer than 30 minutes, you must gain approval from a member of the hall staff before you check out the emergency key in order to keep the key for a longer period of time.
  2. If your emergency key is not returned within the required period of time, the key may be considered lost and you may be charged for changing the lock on your door.
  3. Residents are only permitted to make use of their emergency key three times during the course of the academic year without facing subsequent disciplinary action. The third time you check out your emergency key, and each time thereafter, you will be required to show your original room key to the staff member on duty when returning the emergency key. If you cannot produce your original key, your key will be considered lost and you will be charged for the cost of changing the lock on your door.

back to top


All residence halls have a kitchen, which has a sink, refrigerator and stove. Residents are encouraged to use care not to leave cooking food unattended, and to clean up after each use.

back to top

Living Learning Program

One of the greatest benefits of living in the residence halls is the opportunity for students to have a meaningful experience and interactions with one another outside of the classroom as a community of learners. Every student and staff member in the residence halls should consider themselves to be part of an active learning program. In order to develop this program, every Residence Life staff member serves as a facilitator of learning by striving to:

  • Create and maintain supportive learning environments which include ongoing educational opportunities and experiences.
  • Minimize the barriers to students' academic success by providing easy and immediate access to important educational information and resources.
  • Promote individual growth and a sense of belonging through the creation of inclusive programs.

The Office of Residence Life also partners with other academic and student affairs units on campus to provide specialized living learning programs as part of the Living Learning Program. Living learning programs are designed to bring together students with similar interests, goals, and classes. At the University of Kentucky, there are 14 different specialized programs in the Living Learning Program which allow student to live together, take classes together, and participate in shared programs and activities. Students can choose from the following programs:

  • Agriculture Residential College
  • CARES Science Cohort
  • Engineering Residential College
  • Fine Arts Residential College
  • Global Scholars
  • Global Village
  • Honors
  • Leadership & Service
  • Nursing
  • ROTC
  • Scholars in Engineering And Management (SEAM)
  • Wellness
  • A&S Wired for the Future
  • First Scholars

In addition, the Max Kade German House and Cultural Center has been created to serve the multiple interests and constituencies of the University of Kentucky's Division of German Studies. It provides a distinctive site for presenting varied and interdisciplinary academic, co-curricular, and outreach programs. Students can apply, through the Division of German Studies, to live and learn in this thematic house.

Liquidation Policy

Students who will not be returning to Campus Housing (for withdrawal, transfer, suspension or liquidation) for the spring semester need to notify the Housing Assignment Office in room 125 Funkhouser Building in writing by December 15. This can be done in person, by email or fax. In addition these students must properly checkout of their room (signed termination form, signed RCR and key returned) on or before the last day of finals in the fall semester.

Students who chose to liquidate must.

  • Complete and sign Liquidation Form in room 125 of the Funkhouser Bldg.
  • Properly checkout of their room. This includes:
    • signed termination form in the hall
    • signed Room Condition Report in the hall
    • key returned to the hall at the time of checkout

The date when both of these tasks are complete will be the Official Date of Liquidation.

Students who complete both of these tasks on or before the last day of finals for the fall semester will be charged:

  • 50% of the Housing rate for the hall in which they were assigned
  • 50% of the Dining rate for the meal plan which they were enrolled in

Students who do not complete both of these tasks on or before the first day of class for the spring semester will be charged:

  • 50% of the Housing rate for the hall in which they were assigned + the pro rata charge for each day from the spring move-in date until the Official Date of liquidation
  • 50% of the Dining rate for the meal plan which they were enrolled in + the pro rata charge for each day from the spring move-in date until the Official Date of Liquidation or actual usage whichever is greater.

Students who do not complete both of these processes by February 1 will loose their option to liquidate and will be charged:

  • The full Housing rate for the hall in which they are assigned
  • The full Dining rate for the meal plan which they are enrolled in

back to top

Mail Service

After check-in, student's mail should be addressed to the residence hall, box number and ZIP code assigned to the student. (Each student has a numbered mailbox in the residence hall.) Mail deliveries are made to the residence halls Monday through Friday. Luggage that is being shipped should also be addressed to the name, residence hall, box number, and ZIP code assigned. First class mail is forwarded for one semester after check-out. All other mail is returned to the Post Office for further handling. A U.S. Post Office is located on campus in the basement of the Whitehall Classroom Building.

back to top


Students can access information on topics related to parking, permit application, motorist assistance, bicycle parking, bus schedules, and review our FAQs on the Web at: www.uky.edu/Parking. Students can also subscribe to Parking E-News on this Web site to receive up-to-date parking and transportation news and information via e-mail. For questions, call Parking Services at (859) 257-5757 or (800) 441-0555, or Transportation Services at (859) 257-7202 or (859) 257-6362. Students can also follow parking and transit news at www.twitter.com/UKParking and on 1700 AM (WQKH 253).

When parking on campus, students should purchase and properly display a University of Kentucky parking permit. Application information may be found online at: www.uky.edu/Parking. Permit control signs at the entrance to each parking lot display the hours when the lot is controlled for permits.

Renewing Permits
Students holding permits from the 2011-2012 academic year, and who qualify for the same category of permit, may renew permits May 1 through May 31. Other eligible students may apply for permits for the 2012-2013 academic year from June 1 through July 31, or until the supply of permits is exhausted. Any student who cannot obtain a C or R permit may obtain a K permit valid at Commonwealth Stadium. Freshmen and sophomores who commute are only eligible for K permits, while those who live on campus may apply for a K permit if the desired R permit is sold out. After August 1, applications for K permits will be accepted only online or by mail until August 31, 2010.

Parking for Students with Disabilities
Parking privileges will be granted to qualified students upon approval of an application. The Disability Resource Center, Room 2, Alumni Gym, (859) 257-2754, will assist students with disabilities with the application process. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Home Football Game Day Parking
Vehicles parked at Commonwealth Stadium and adjacent lots must be removed before 9:00 a.m. on days of home football games. This includes the K, E, and C areas in the Stadium's Red, Green and Blue Lots, as well as the K and/or E lots next to Greg Page. No parking is permitted on University Drive on days of home football games. Failure to remove vehicle from these areas could result in impoundment and/or citation. Vehicles may be moved to any E lot (except C2/E lot, Parking Structure #1, Parking Structure #7 and University Drive) after 3:30 p.m. on Friday, and should be returned to Commonwealth Stadium by 5:00 a.m. on Monday. Vehicles may not be moved to R lots on football game weekends.

Guest Parking
Family and friends visiting campus may pay to park in Parking Structure #7 (near the Kirwan-Blanding Complex), in Parking Structure #5 (next to Kennedy Book Store) or at parking meters. Guests may also stop by Parking Services, located in Parking Structure #6 (721 Press Avenue), at the corner of Press and Virginia Avenues to obtain a temporary parking pass. After hours and on weekends, visitors can park in lots not controlled for permits. A permit control sign at the entrance to each parking lot displays the hours when the lot is being controlled for permits.

Short-term Parking
Parking meters are available to allow temporary parking for visitors, employees and students. Parking meters are located near the UK Bookstore, Funkhouser Building, Seaton Center and behind Memorial Coliseum. UK parking meters have time limits of either 45 minutes or three hours displayed on the meter post and on the tag inside the meter. The intent of 45-minute meters is to provide short-term parking; they are not intended for students attending class. In addition, certain meters are reserved for specific uses. These meters are identified by signs attached to the meter posts or posted at the entrance to the parking lot.

Avoiding Parking Citations and Keeping Vehicles Safe:

  • be sure to read and understand the information provided with the permit;
  • do not park in fire lanes (red curbs), service areas (yellow & white stripes), loading zones (black & yellow stripes), or reserved spaces;
  • do not share the permit with anyone else;
  • report lost or stolen permits promptly to Parking & Transportation Services;
  • do not assume that because other cars are parked illegally you may do so;
  • do not park in violation, (e.g., yellow lines and fire lanes) with hazard lights flashing;
  • do not leave notes in vehicles for parking control officers;
  • keep vehicles locked at all times.

AlterNetRides, an online ride sharing service, connects UK faculty, staff, students, and guests who wish to coordinate carpools, and, in the process, save gas and money and decrease their impact on the environment. Users are able to search for those with similar transportation needs by time of day, frequency, and location. By communicating through the AlterNetRides Web site, personal information such as e-mail address and phone number remain confidential unless the user chooses to share them with another rider. For more information, visit www.uky.edu/parking/transportation-ridematch.html.

Part-Time Student Status

Only full-time students are permitted to live in UK Campus Housing. If a student's class load drops below 12 hours, he/she must notify their Hall Director or Apartment Manager. After a review of the circumstances, a decision will be made about whether the student should be allowed to remain in UK Campus Housing. Appeals can be made to the Director of Residence Life.

Pest Control

All rooms are treated periodically for insect control by Housing personnel. Residents must notify the front desk if a medical problem exists. A special treatment time will subsequently be arranged. Residents must allow workers to enter your room for treatment unless a prior medical exception has been filed.


You may love your pet, but not everyone else will. Some people may be allergic to or even distressed by your pet. Animals, except for fish in water tanks, are not permitted in residence halls or undergraduate apartments. This includes birds and laboratory specimens. Fish may be kept in a water tank no larger than 1.3 cubic feet (10 gallons). A student with a disability may have a service animal living with them. When a violation of this policy occurs, public health regulations require sanitation, disease control procedures, and deodorization, for which the violator will be charged.

Posting and Mail Policy

The Office of Residence Life recognizes that we serve as an important access point for many UK departments and student organizations to reach UK and BCTC students who live on campus. As a result of the volume of requests for various types of access, we have established some guidelines governing the posting and mailing of information to the residence halls. We hope this will be useful to you in planning the best strategy for getting your material in the hands of students.

Public Posting Areas
Each residence hall has a bulletin board or table in its lobby or entrance area set aside for the posting and distribution of flyers, coupons, etc. to students. To post in these area does not require specific permission from the Office of Residence Life, although you must check-in at the desk when you enter the hall and let them know you have something you wish to post. You are responsible for posting the item yourself and only one flyer should be placed on the bulletin board. Extra flyers may be left if there is a table set aside for those items. Items posted on the board will be periodically reviewed by a hall staff member and removed at their discretion as dates expire, etc. Since alcoholic beverages are not permitted in undergraduate housing leased from and supervised by the University, we prefer that materials advertising the consumption of alcohol not be posted inside the facilities. Items posted in a non-approved areas will be removed.

Posting on Residential Floors
Only Resident Advisors are eligible to post information on residential floors. In order to have the Resident Advisors post material advertising programs, courses, campus performances, etc., on their floors, the item to be posted must be approved by the Office of Residence Life. Please bring a copy of the item to be posted to 537 Patterson Office Tower and drop it off. Include your phone number so we can contact you with an approval. If the item is approved for distribution, you will need to supply enough copies for each floor. Currently, we would need 200 copies. Please submit your materials approximately 10 working days prior to the event to allow sufficient time to get your material approved, distributed and posted. Please note that we do not post sales solicitation material on the RA bulletin boards.

In the event that you do not have sufficient material to post on all floors, we can make arrangements to post a single item in a public area. This would require only 30 posters to be generated for distribution. Please follow the same procedures to request approval.

Mail Policy
All items mailed to residents must include their name, hall, and box number. According to the UK Post Office, mail that does not include a box number or ZIP code does not have to be distributed.

Campus Mail
Campus mail delivery must follow the same guidelines as regular mail delivery. Door-to-door delivery of flyers is not permitted.

Mailbox Stuffing
In general, we do not permit mass stuffing of student mailboxes. Any exceptions to this policy must be approved by the Director of Residence Life.

back to top

Private Rooms

Requests for private rooms will be granted on a space available basis. Students assigned a single room will be charged one and one-half times the double room rate. If a student wishes to request a private room, that student should go to his or her Hall Director to make the request and then follow any directions given by the Hall Director.

Quiet & Courtesy Hours

In order to provide an atmosphere conducive to studying and sleeping in the residence halls, quiet hours have been established for all halls. It is important that residents respect the rights of others as they listen to music and socialize. Each hall is required to have quiet hours, at a minimum, from 7:00 pm - 7:00 am every day. Halls may extend their quiet hours through a vote of the residents at a Residence Hall Government (RHG) meeting.

During quiet hours, noise should not be audible outside a resident's room. Quiet hours are enforced by residents, with assistance from staff members when necessary. In addition, even at times other than officially established quiet hours, students are expected to maintain reasonably low levels of noise and to comply with requests by others for quiet. Residents are expected to operate stereos, TVs, and sound equipment with regard for the rights of others and to be considerate at all times. Continued noise violations may result in students being asked to remove stereo equipment or TV sets from the residence hall. Musical instruments may be played only in designated practice areas.

Prior to and during final exams, residence hall staff members enforce 24-hour quiet hours to assist residents as they prepare for their examinations.

back to top


The Office of Residence Life runs a recycling program in the residence halls. You may have noticed the blue containers on every floor of your hall. This program promotes environmentally and socially responsible living habits by encouraging students to put their recyclable materials in these containers. The recycling program accepts aluminum, steel, plastics, and paper in the bins on every floor. Additionally, ink jet cartridges, plastic grocery bags, batteries, and cardboard are accepted in the laundry room of every residence hall. At the end of each semester, donation drives are sponsored during which donations of clothing, food, furniture, appliances, and more are accepted. By recycling, campus residents diverted over 185,062 pounds of material from the waste stream during the 2006-2007 school year alone. This includes cans, cardboard, paper, plastic, comingled, and glass.

If you are interested in learning more about the program, or if you would like to work with the Residence Life Recycling Program, please visit our Web site at www.uky.edu/StudentAffairs/Recycling, or call the current recycling coordinator at 257-2003.


ResNet is a service provided to students living on campus by UK Housing for Internet access and cable television service.

Each room is equipped with a cable television connection providing access to 60 basic channels with the option of adding more. To take advantage of this service, you only need a cable-ready television. For more information on the cable television service, how to add additional channels or upgrade to Digital Cable, or who to contact should your television service go out, please see the Television section.

ResNet also lets you connect your personal computer to the Internet! Each room or apartment contains a cable modem that provides a connection for each student. You will be able to access your student account information, e-mail, search the library database, and search the Internet, all from your residence hall room or apartment. The cost for the service is already included in your housing fee. All you need to connect to ResNet is a computer with an Ethernet card installed, a Cat 5 or 6 cable, and your LinkBlue account infomation.

To find out when ResNet will be in your area, please visit the ResNet Web site at www.uky.edu/Housing/resnet or call 323-4948.

back to top

Room Changes

Room change requests may be granted on a case-by-case basis at the discretion of your Hall Director and depending on space availability. If you wish to change rooms or halls, talk to your RA and discuss the various options. After you have discussed this with your RA, then contact the Hall Director. Please note that no room changes will be made on the basis of discrimination or prejudice.

Room Condition Report

Before fall semester begins, each room in every residence hall is inventoried and checked for its condition. The findings are recorded on a Room Condition Report which each resident receives at check-in. It is important for each resident to review the Room Condition Report and check the room carefully to see if there are any additions to be made. Each resident is responsible for making sure their Room Condition Report is filled-out accurately. Failure to include damaged/missing items may result in the resident being charged for the repair/replacement of those items after move-out. Once a student has done this, the report must then be signed and returned to the RA immediately.

Rooms are to be left in good condition when checking out, with trash properly disposed of and floors cleaned. The furniture that is in the room at the beginning of the year must be there when the resident leaves at the end of the academic year. This applies to a resident who leaves their housing assignment during the year for any reason (including moving to another room). Before leaving campus, keys must be returned to avoid a lock change being required at the student's room or apartment.

Students may arrange with a Residence Life staff member to have a pre-inspection review of their room before departing campus. After all residents have moved out a final inspection will be made by Residence Life staff. During the final inspection any damage not reported at the time of the original occupancy will be listed on the Room Condition Report, and charged to the student's account. The cost of replacing or repairing items will be assessed to the residents of that particular room, unless individual responsibility can be established.

If during the semester, a student plans to move out of a residence hall, they must follow the appropriate guidelines and complete the appropriate paperwork. Any student moving out of a room during the academic year will be considered a resident of that room until they have returned their room keys and properly checked-out. (See also, "Damage to Student Rooms.")

Room Entry Policy

Authorized university personnel may enter a student's residence hall room without permission for the following reasons:

  1. To provide routine maintenance
  2. To provide routine inspections to ensure that residents are following health, fire, and safety regulations
  3. To respond to emergency situations; e.g., situations which threaten the health and/or safety of room occupants, and situations which require immediate maintenance to prevent property damage or immediate action to correct the health, fire and/or safety risk
  4. When there is reason to believe that a violation of university policy is taking place in the room and occupants in the room do not open the door when requested to do so.

Authorization to enter a student's room under this policy does not constitute authorization to conduct a search of the room.

Authorized university personnel indicated above include:

  1. Full-time members of the Housing and Residence Life staff, including maintenance and custodial personnel.
  2. Hall Directors, Assistant Hall Directors, Resident Advisors, and Assistant Managers, subject to the following restriction:
    • In non-emergency situations, prior authorization must be received from a full-time professional staff member in the Office of Residence Life.
    • Unless circumstances prohibit, two staff members should be present when using the master key to enter a student's room.
  3. University Police.
  4. University Fire Marshal.

Protocol for using the master key to enter a residence hall room:

  1. No student room should be entered without knocking, regardless of whether the door is locked, unlocked, or open. The only situations in which staff are not required to knock are emergencies.
  2. Before using the master key, university personnel attempting to enter a room should identify themselves and state the reason for entry. In addition, they should request that the door be opened.
  3. If the door is not opened and authorized university personnel deem it necessary, the master key will be used to enter the student's room for one or more of the reasons listed above.

back to top

Room Inspections

Residence Life staff will inspect students' rooms at least once each semes ter for the purpose of conducting safety checks, and may inspect more frequently should circumstances require. In all cases, students will be given prior notice of the time and date of the inspection. For additional information on room entry in general, please see the Room Entry Policy.

back to top


The security of our residents is of the utmost concern. All visitors, including parents and siblings, must be signed in and out of the halls and leave one form of photo identification at the desk for the duration of their visit. All visitors must also be escorted by their host during their entire time in the hall. Keep your room door locked whenever you leave the room and when you are sleeping. Do not, under any circumstances, prop outside doors open. Make sure any valuable items, such as laptop computers, credit cards, student I.D. cards, etc., are kept in a secure location away from the view of those who might walk off with them. The halls provide security procedures such as desk service, security patrols, staff on duty, security cameras, and restricted access plans. Please carry your room key and your student I.D. with you at all times and help keep the building secure. (Please see "Visitation Policy" and "Keys" for more information on building security.)

Selling & Soliciting

Door-to-door sales or solicitation in the residence halls are not permitted. Sales are defined as any effort to offer a product or service in return for money, goods, or other services. Solicitation is defined as any effort to ask for donations or contributions of money, goods, or services. If anyone is found selling or soliciting in the residence halls, the UK Police will be called to escort the person off campus, and additional disciplinary action may be taken.

Residence Hall rooms are to be used solely for residential purposes. Residents are not permitted to operate businesses out of their rooms or to publicly list residence hall room numbers or phone numbers in commercial ads or other business announcements.


Smoking is NOT permitted in any campus housing residence hall. UK is Tobacco-Free.

back to top


Due to space limitations in the residence halls, the Offices of Campus Housing and Residence Life are unable to provide storage facilities for students, either during the year or over the break periods. This includes storage for personal items as well as storage for furniture that is currently in the rooms. Therefore, it is important that students only bring items to campus that can fit into their residence hall room along with the existing furniture.

Study Rooms

Each building has designated study rooms. Study areas in the residence halls should remain quiet at all times.

Summer School

A limited number of halls will be open during summer school sessions. Students desiring summer housing must submit a Summer Housing Application. Contact the Housing Office at (859) 257-1866.


UK Campus Housing does not provide local telephone service as part of the Housing contract. Research has proven that more and more students are coming to college with cell phones and use their cell phones as their primary way of communicating. The cell phone companies with the strongest cell signal in the residence halls are ATT, Verizon and Nextel. If you have a cell carrier other than these mentioned, please contact your provider for more information. Students wanting local telephone service in their residence hall room should contact 859-218-HELP. Addition Information is available online at www.uky.edu/IS/CNS/stservices/phserv.html.


Basic Cable Television service is provided to students living on campus through ResNet and Insight Communications. Students living on campus should call ResNet for issues regarding their cable Internet access at 323-4948 and Insight Communications at 514-1400 for anything concerning cable television service.

If you are interested in adding more features or channels to your television service, or would like to upgrade to Digital Cable, please call Insight Communications at 514-1400. In the event that you have upgraded to Digital Cable and did not have a Personal Identification Number set up at the time of installation, please call 514-1400 to obtain your PIN.

The account holder is responsible for all equipment provided from Insight Communications. This includes, but is not limited to the digital cable box. This equipment must be returned to Insight at 2548 Palumbo Drive at the end of the semester in order to disconnect your additional services.

All Pay-Per-View and OnDemand charges are the sole responsibility of the account holder, regardless of who ordered the Pay-Per-View movies or events.

back to top


Vending machines dispensing snacks and soft drinks are available in the residence halls and other campus buildings. Vending machines in the residence halls accept cash or the Plus Account. Plus Account funds may be added in whole dollar amounts at any time during the semester at the following locations:  Online at www.uky.edu/PlusAccount ($20 minimum deposit, $2 convenience fee with Visa® or MasterCard®); The Plus Account Office ($20 minimum deposit with cash, check, Visa® or MasterCard®); Student Billing ($20 minimum deposit with cash or check) and DART machines in campus computer labs (any whole dollar amount with cash only).

back to top

Visitation Policy:

The University of Kentucky provides several different visitation options for students depending on where they live. The visitation policy strives to recognize and balance the following priorities:

  1. The need to provide options to students and parents who have different desires regarding visitation arrangements.
  2. The need to maintain a safe environment in the halls.
  3. The need to respect students' desire for privacy.
  4. The need to recognize the value of visitors in a vibrant, educational community.

In balancing these priorities, the University of Kentucky offers the following visitation options to students:

Co-educational Residence Halls:
In all co-ed halls, "in-hall" visitation (students who live in the same hall visiting each other) will be permitted 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. In addition, the visitation policy in co-ed halls will be gender neutral (no distinctions as to gender).

Two different visitation options will be offered in co-ed halls:

Option 1: (24—7)
Guests from outside the hall (regardless of gender) will be permitted to visit 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This policy will apply to the following halls:

1. Keeneland Hall
2. Patterson Hall
3. Blanding Two
4. Blanding Three
5. Kirwan Two
6. Kirwan Three
7. Kirwan Four
8. German House

Option 2: (24-hour Weekends)
Guests from outside the hall (regardless of gender) will be permitted to visit from 12:00 PM—12:00 AM Monday—Thursday, and then 24 hours a day from Friday at 12:00 noon until Sunday at 12:00 midnight. This policy will apply to the following halls:

1. Blanding One
2. Blanding Four
3. Ingels Hall
4. Baldwin
5. Jewell Hall
6. KirwanTower
7. BlandingTower
8. Roselle Hall
9. Smith Hall
10. Holmes Hall

Single Gender Residence Halls:
In all single gender halls, the visitation policy will be gender-specific. In these halls, visitation by members of the same gender, whether they live in the hall or not, will be permitted 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Three different visitation options will be offered in single gender halls:

Option 1: (24-7)
Guests of the opposite gender will be permitted to visit 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This policy will apply to the following halls:

1. Sigma Chi Fraternity
2. Phi Delta Theta Fraternity

*Follows Sigma Kappa National Housing Visitation Policy, not UK's.

Option 2: (24-hour Weekends)
Guests of the opposite gender will be permitted to visit from 12:00 PM—12:00 AM Monday—Thursday, and then 24 hours a day from Friday at 12:00 noon until Sunday at 12:00 midnight. This policy will apply to the following halls:

1. Donovan Hall
2. Blazer Hall
3. Wildcat Lodge
4. Haggin Hall
5. Kirwan One

Minor Visitation

Overnight visitation by children age 8 and older is permitted with consent of minor's parent and host's roommate, in accordance with ORL visitation policy. Overnight visitation by children under age 8 is not permitted (except during Lil' Sibs weekend, when Lil' Sibs policies supersede this one).

Guests under the age of 18 may be checked in for visitation between 12 noon and 12 midnight. Minors must present either a driver's license or parental consent form to check in.

Visitation by minors between 12 midnight and 12 noon is considered overnight visitation, and the following conditions apply:

1. Minors (ages 8 - 17) must have parental consent in order to check-in between 12 midnight and 12 noon.
2. Consent must be in writing, signed by parent, and contain reason for visit, and usable contact information for parent/legal guardian.
3. Parental permission is subject to verification by ORL staff.
4. Minor visitation must be approved at least 24 hours in advance by the Hall Director.
5. Permission for minors to check in may be denied at the discretion of the Hall Director.
6. Babysitting is not permitted in residence halls.

Check-In Policy

All guests, including family members and students who live in university housing, must register at the front desk and be escorted by their host at all times while in the building. In addition, guests are required to leave their own picture identification at the front desk, which will be returned when the guest leaves the hall.

In order to stay in compliance with fire safety regulations, each resident may sign in only two guests at a time (overnight guests are limited to one per resident, or no more than two per room).

When a resident has a guest, the resident assumes full responsibility for the conduct and behavior of that guest. Student hosts are responsible for seeing that their guests are familiar with and observe all University regulations. Hosts will be held responsible for any policy violations, damages, or loss of property attributable to their guests. Residents of a room may be held responsible for behavior that takes place inside the room regardless of the residents' presence in the room or the length of time that guest has been there.

If a guest fails to comply with any University policy, then they may be asked to leave the undergraduate housing facility until the Office of Residence Life addresses the behavior. A guest may be denied permission to remain in the residence hall or may be prohibited from future visits if he or she creates a disturbance or violates any rule or regulation.

Bathroom facilities in each residence hall are designated by gender. Residents and guests may only use facilities designated for their gender. Guests needing to travel between floors in order to use such facilities must be escorted by their host to the bathroom door.

Whenever overnight guests are permitted in a particular facility, visits by these guests must be in compliance with the residence hall Cohabitation Policy and with any applicable roommate agreements. All overnight guests must be registered as overnight guests at the front desk.

Bathroom Facilities
Bathroom facilities in each residence hall are designated by gender. Residents and guests may only use facilities designated for their gender. Guests needing to travel between floors in order to use such facilities must be escorted by their host to the bathroom door.

Cohabitation Policy
Cohabitation exists when a person who is not assigned to a particular residence hall room uses that room as if he or she were living there. Cohabitation is not permitted.

Examples of this may include, but are not limited to, accessing the room while the assigned occupants are not present, utilizing a key to enter a room to which one is not assigned, keeping clothing and other personal belongings in the residence hall, sleeping overnight in the room on a regular basis, and using the bathroom and shower facilities as if they lived in that room. When a guest's continual presence hinders a roommate's ability to study, sleep, and/or occupy their room, this will be considered a violation of this policy as well.

When overnight guests are permitted at a particular hall, all such overnight guests must be registered as overnight guests at the front desk regardless of the length of their stay. Guests are allowed to stay for a maximum of three nights in a row. An excessive number of visits, even if they last no more than three nights in a row, may also be considered a violation of this policy. All overnight visitations must be consistent with any applicable roommate agreements.

Visitation hours for hall opening hall closing, and break periods:
During the week that halls open and finals week (hall closing), family and friends may sign in beginning at 8:00 a.m. until the conclusion of the applicable visitation hours to help residents move in or out of the halls. 24-hour quiet hours are still in effect while other students are having finals.

During Thanksgiving Break and Spring Break visitation hours may be limited in those halls that stay open for the break periods. The exact hours will be posted prior to the break period.

back to top

Washers and Dryers

Washers and dryers in each residence hall are operated using the Plus Account. Plus Account funds may be added in whole dollar amounts at any time during the semester at the following locations:  Online at www.uky.edu/PlusAccount ($20 minimum deposit, $2 convenience fee with Visa® or MasterCard®); The Dining & Plus Account Office ($20 minimum deposit with cash, check, Visa® or MasterCard®); Student Billing ($20 minimum deposit with cash or check) and DART machines in campus computer labs (any whole dollar amount with cash only). (Please report nonworking washers and dryers to F-IXIT)


Due to safety considerations and the fact that rooms in the Kirwan/Blanding residence halls are environmentally controlled, windows may NOT be opened for any reason in the Kirwan/Blanding complex. Anyone who has their window open will be subject to disciplinary action. Opening windows in other halls is permissible as long as the air conditioning is not turned on. Anyone who throws an object out of a residence hall window will be subject to immediate disciplinary action and potential removal from the residence halls.


Students who withdraw completely (no hours) from the University or Bluegrass Community and Technical College are required to notify the Housing Office in writing and move out of the residence hall or Greek House. They will be assed a prorated charge for housing and dining for each day until all classes have been dropped and proper check-out has been completed. After week 12 full semester charges will apply.

back to top