Faculty Handbook- Background
Kentucky State Agricultural and Mechanical College was founded in 1865 as part of Kentucky University (now Transylvania University). Under the land grant provision of the Federal Morrill Act of 1862, the College was separated from Kentucky University in 1878 and established on a 50-acre site donated by the city of Lexington. In 1908 the College was re-named the State University, Lexington, Kentucky, and in 1916 it became the University of Kentucky. The Medical Center was created in 1956, and the colleges of Medicine, Dentistry, and Nursing established. In 1964, the development of a statewide system of community colleges was initiated as a part of the University. The University was re-organized into its three chancellor-led sectors (the Community Colleges, the Medical Center, and the Lexington Campus), together with a Central Administration, in 1982.
The Kentucky Postsecondary Education Improvement Act of 1997 declared that by year 2020, the University of Kentucky should achieve the goal of becoming a major comprehensive research institution ranked nationally in the top twenty (20) of public universities; and that the community colleges, except the Lexington Community College, known as the University of Kentucky Community College System, become one of the branches of the Kentucky Community and Technical College System. As a result of this change, the University organization currently consists of two sectors (the Medical Center and the Lexington Campus, which also includes the Lexington Community College) and the Central Administration.