College of Public Health students graduating


Q. What financial aid/assistantships are available?
The MPH and PhD are graduate degrees so assistantships and fellowships are available through the guidelines set out by the Graduate School. Though assistantships cannot be guaranteed prior to matriculation, students are notified, as they are known, of the several assistantships that are available through faculty with research grants. Students in the DrPH also have access to fellowships and limited scholarship resources. In addition, all public health students may apply for federal financial aid to supplement institutional aid.
Q. How long does it take to complete a MPH, a DrPH or a PhD?
A full-time student can expect to complete the MPH in 4 semesters and a summer session. Full-time DrPH students can expect to complete the curriculum in 3 years. To complete the PhD takes a minimum of 3 years.
Q. What are the GRE requirements? Can the requirement be waived?
Official scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT), showing verbal and quantitative scores at the 50 percentile or better. The Admissions Committee considers the strength of the application by looking at all components – GPA, Personal Statement, References, work and life experiences, GRE or GMAT scores, etc. All scores submitted, for any of the programs, must have been taken within 5 years of the application deadline for the planned semester of entry. The MCAT may be acceptable in lieu of the GRE or GMAT for the MPH program.  Scores are not required for applicants with an MD, DMD, DDS, PharmD, DVM, DO, DNP, DSc, or PhD
Q. What are the University of Kentucky Graduate School & TOEFL Codes?
University of Kentucky Graduate School code - R1837
GRE DI code - 1837
Q. When can I expect a decision on my application?
The Admissions Committee will make a decision within two weeks of receiving a completed application. Applicants should be aware that each program has limited enrollment, therefore, early completion of the application is strongly recommended.
Q. Can I transfer credits from other institutions?
Applicants to most degree programs can transfer up to a maximum of 9 credit hours from other institutions or from post baccalaureate status. Copies of appropriate course descriptions/syllabi must be submitted to the Director of Admissions to determine if courses from other institutions meet program requirements. In general, a maximum of 12 credits from other institutions can be transferred toward completion of the DrPH degree. However, only credit hours that did not count toward another degree program can be transferred into any CPH program.
Q. Is there opportunity for students to complete courses through distance learning?
Distance learning courses for the public health curricula are offered on a limited basis. Please check with the college or the course catalog for availability.
Q. What career opportunities are available to those who hold degrees in public health?
Public Health is a very broad and exciting field. Anyone who has, at a minimum, a bachelor’s degree and a sincere interest in public health issues can find an area of public health that is consistent with her/his background and career goals. Public Health professionals work in county, state, and federal public health facilities, community organizations, colleges and universities, private industry, Center for Disease Control, health care organizations, and many other venues. For more specific careers in public health, visit the Association of Schools of Public Health (ASPH) through the “Public Health Links” available at this website,
Q. May I visit the University of Kentucky College of Public Health to discuss my specific career goals and academic preparation?
We strongly encourage that applicants and potential applicants meet with someone in the Office of Admissions and Student Affairs to get information and clarification regarding their specific situation. Also, with appropriate notice, we will make arrangements for you to meet with a student(s) and/or faculty member, at your request. Appointments can be made by calling (859) 218-2096.
Q. Are there joint degree programs available?
Students who have been accepted to the UK College of Medicine may apply for a combined MD/MPH degree . We also offer combined PharmD/MPH degree, for more information contact our Admissions Office, or 859-218-2066.
Q. Is there an international health area of concentration?
At this time, an international health area of concentration is not available, but we do offer a Graduate Certificate in Global Health. International health issues are considered across the curriculum and there are limited opportunities for international travel Students desiring an emphasis in international health should look closely at our course descriptions to determine if the College’s curriculum effectively addresses their career goals.