Q&A with the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships

COVID-19 Impacts on Financial Aid

What if I never applied for financial aid, but now I need to? 

If you enroll for the 2020 summer term, you may still file the 2019-20 FAFSA until June 30, 2020 to be to be considered for a Federal Pell Grant for the summer term and retroactively for the 2019-20 academic year as long as all eligibility requirements are met. To be considered for the Federal Direct Loan program for the 2020 summer term, you must file the 2019-20 FAFSA by June 30, 2020 and meet all eligibility requirements, including enrolling at least half time during the summer term. You must also complete a Summer Aid Request Form available at www.uky.edu/financialaid/summer-aid.

Students planning to enroll in the 2020 Fall Semester who have not already filed the 2020-21 FAFSA should do so immediately. 

UK’s federal school code for FAFSA filing is 001989. The FAFSA filing process is annual. Therefore, if you want to apply for both 2019-20 and 2020-21 academic years, you must file a FAFSA for each academic year.


What if I am experiencing a situation in which I cannot pay for my educational expenses affecting my ability to remain enrolled or continue my education at the University of Kentucky? 

If you and/or your family have experienced a recent job loss or a significant reduction in income and you already  filed the 2020-2021 FAFSA, please review and complete the 2020-21 Appeal for Income Reduction Form. Complete the form and email it along with any required documentation to your Financial Aid Counselor.  

The Appeal for Income Reduction Form allows the UK Office of Student Financial Aid & Scholarships to reassess your federal financial aid eligibility and possibly make financial aid adjustments to your financial aid package. This will not impact academic scholarship eligibility. 

If you have other special circumstances regarding your ability to pay for your educational expenses, please reach out to your Financial Aid Counselor

If you are in need of immediate help meeting basic needs, please access the Student Emergency Fund using the Community of Concern report form.

We know the disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic can be a difficult time for everyone. If you need someone to talk to confidentially, due to the stress and anxiety this crisis may have brought on, you may contact the UK Counseling Center (859-257-8701) to speak to the on-duty counselor. 

Other resources to assist you can be found here https://learnanywhere.uky.edu/student-services.


What are the eligibility requirements to receive the CARES Act Emergency Grant for Students?

  • Must have a 2019-20 FAFSA on file by June 30, 2020.
  • Be enrolled in the 2020 Spring Semester in a degree-granting program, excluding programs that were delivered exclusively online during the spring semester prior to the COVID-19 outbreak. 
  • Meet additional Title IV eligibility criteria as set forth in Section 484 of the Higher Education Act, as amended.
  • Must have incurred expenses related to the disruption of campus operations at the University of Kentucky due to coronavirus, including expenses related to the cost of attending the University of Kentucky (such as food, housing, course materials, technology, health care, and child care).
  • Be identified as a student who demonstrates high financial need and is most at risk for financial issues.


What will happen to my student employment role on campus? 

If you are a Federal Work-Study (FWS) student employee for the 2020 spring semester, please review the email sent to you on March 30, 2020, from the Office of Student Financial Aid & Scholarships or reach out to your supervisor, regarding the rules associated with your FWS financial aid offer. If you have any questions regarding this provision and its implementation, please email us at FWS@UKY.EDU.

If you were employed as a Student Employee (not through the FWS program), please visit https://learnanywhere.uky.edu/student-services for information regarding career and student employment resources.


Will my financial aid change if I choose Pass/Fail option for my courses?

You must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements to remain eligible for financial aid. In addition, you must meet renewal criteria for any scholarships you may have received.

In general, choosing the Pass/Fail option will not negatively impact your financial aid eligibility for the 2020-2021 academic year, unless you fail a significant portion of your courses as the SAP Policy requires you to successfully complete at least 67% of the course work you attempted. 

We understand that the COVID-19 pandemic has caused an extraordinary disruption to your education and appropriate flexibility will be provided to ensure you continue to remain eligible for your financial aid and scholarship awards. If you fail to meet the standards of SAP or the eligibility requirements for your scholarship, you will be provided the right to appeal.  

Based on current guidance, the Pass/Fail courses would not be included in calculating your 2019-2020 cumulative GPA for KEES awards for 2020-2021. The courses must, though, be counted toward your degree requirements to be included as current hours to keep the spring 2020 KEES award as is.

Before making decision whether you should choose a Pass/Fail option for a course, please be sure to check with your academic advisor that the course will still apply toward your major and/or degree requirements. 

If you choose the Pass/Fail option and the course does not apply to your degree, it could impact your current eligibility for the KEES Scholarship and other financial aid. Please be sure to consult with your academic advisor to see if selecting the Pass/Fail option will have any impact on the course counting toward your degree requirements or admission into a specific academic program.


Will my financial aid or scholarships change if I must withdraw from any courses related to the COVID-19 crisis?

If your federal financial aid was credited to your student account and your withdrawal occurred after March 20, 2020, you should have no adjustments to your federal financial aid for the 2020 spring semester.  If you receive a tuition, program fee, or other assessment refund due to withdrawal, your scholarship may be adjusted.

If you have any questions about withdrawing and your financial aid, please contact Cole Grannis, Assistant Director, Office of Student Financial Aid, cole.grannis@uky.edu


If I need to submit a form to the Office of Student Financial Aid & Scholarships, what is the best way to do that?

Email forms and documentation directly to your Financial Aid Counselor

Documents related to Federal Verification must be submitted to Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority (KHEAA) by logging into MyKHEAA at www.kheaaverify.com.

Please remember that most staff are working remotely and the best way to contact us is via email. We will respond as soon as we can during regular business hours. Please remember the University’s COVID-19 web pages are revised regularly with the most up-to-date information available. https://www.uky.edu/coronavirus/


As a financial aid or scholarship recipient who is receiving a housing and/or dining credit, will my financial aid or scholarships be reduced?   

Scholarships earmarked to cover on-campus housing and dining may need to be adjusted to ensure that that the total award does not exceed your housing and dining charges after your student account is adjusted. No other financial aid awards will be adjusted or reduced.

If your housing or dining charges for 2020 Spring Semester were paid with Title IV (federal) funds, any credit balance created after the housing and dining adjustments will be refunded to you by the Student Account Services within 14 days of the credit being applied to your student account. 

Housing and dining refunds made to Title IV recipients as stated above should not affect your eligibility for need-based financial aid programs next academic year. For other students, based on currently available guidance, any housing and dining credits carried forward to the 2020 Fall Semester would be considered a financial aid resource under Title IV regulations, meaning it will be counted in the student’s total financial aid package when monitoring cost of attendance and need-based over awards. This includes the $125 dining flex credit a student may also receive. 

If you are in need of immediate help meeting basic needs, such as housing and meals, please access the Student Emergency Fund using the Community of Concern report form.

Please visit https://www.uky.edu/housing/covid-19-impact-uk-campus-housing  for more information about the 2020 Spring Semester Housing & Dining Adjustments.


Who do I contact if I have additional questions about my financial aid and scholarships? 

If you have a question about academic scholarships, please email academicscholar@lsv.uky.edu. For all other questions about your financial aid, please contact your Financial Aid Counselor