Student Account Services

Student Account Services acts as a billing agent for the University of Kentucky.  Our staff can provide financial assistance regarding your tuition, loans and tax credit information.  When you need assistance, our customer service representatives are available to assist.

Assistance is Available.

Student Account Services is currently available to assist you in Room 18 Funkhouser Building.  Hours are Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. E.S.T.


Contact Us

Phone:  (859) 257-3406


Online Appointment for Students:  Set up a virtual appointment with an account representative on myUK > myInfo > myAppointments.

In order to serve you better, please provide the student ID number and security passcode when you call or email.  The passcode is established by the student on myUK > myInfo > myPasscode.

For general information, see our FAQs.


Important Reminders


Account statements are sent electronically to the student's UK assigned email address the first week of the month as long as a balance due remains.

Total amount due must be received on or before the 22nd of the month.  An account   hold for an unpaid past due balance will prevent class registration during priority registration windows.  Past due balances      are subject to a late fee of 1.5%.

Statements for Winter 2020-21 were     delivered to the student's UK assigned email address on December 1, 2020, with a due     date of December 22, 2020.

Statements for Spring 2021 were delivered     by email on January 8, 2021, with a due      date of January 22, 2021.  Statements may also be viewed on the student's myUK      account under Financials and under Guest Access.

Enrollment in the Spring 2021 Installment Payment Plan is now available on the      student's myUK account under Financials     and under Guest Access. For general information about the installment payment plan, click here.



Financial aid credits will begin posting      January 15-18.

Direct deposit refunds will begin               January 19-22.

If expected financial aid for Spring 2021 has not posted to your student account, direct questions to your financial aid counselor at:  Find Your Counselor



Direct Deposit for refunds is now     MANDATORY. For information, click here.



Financial Holds

Be sure to check for any financial holds on your myUK account.  Financial holds will not prevent graduation, however they will prevent release of the diploma and official transcripts until resolved.

Student Loan Exit Counseling Requirement

If you borrowed a Federal Direct Student Loan while attending UK, complete Exit Counseling at  Log in with your FSA ID and choose MANAGE LOANS, then Complete Exit Counseling. UK will be notified electronically.

If you borrowed a Federal Perkins Student Loan while attending UK, watch for an email from UK's Perkins Loan billing servicer, ECSI.  The email will instruct you on how to complete the Exit Counseling requirement on-line.

Tax Information

The 1098-T tax form for 2020 is available electronically on your myUK account under Financials > Account Services from the left-hand menu > 1098-T Form(s).

Should you need assistance viewing your 1098-T, visit myDocs Self-Service Document Portal.

To receive the form by USPS mail, you must have selected "1098-T Opt Out" from the menu on or before December 31, 2020.