Applicant FAQ

Click here to view the University Flats Frequently Asked Questions.


What is Graduate & Family Housing?

Graduate & Family Housing provides convenient and affordable housing for University of Kentucky graduate students and short term guests at the University of Kentucky.


Who qualifies for Graduate & Family Housing?

Full-time graduate students, full-time graduate students with families, and ull-time students classified as non-traditional students.  Graduate & Family Housing is open year-round which offers qualifying residents the opportunity to remain in their residential facilities. ALL residents must vacate their apartment when they graduate or when they no longer qualify as full-time.


Do you give priority to certain students?

Yes. Priority is given to full-time graduate students with families and full-time graduate students in their first and or  second years at the University of Kentucky. Priority well be given to full-time International students within these categories. Lastly, we prioritize these applicants based on their "priority date". This date is established when we receive a completed application and application fee. Therefore, it is important to apply as soon as you know that you have been admitted to the University of Kentucky so that you receive an earlier priority date.


How do I apply for housing?

Please visit the application link (add link to app)  The application may be remitted by mail, fax, or as an email attachment.

Mail to: 

Graduate and Family Housing
300 Alumni Drive #156
Lexington, Kentucky, 40503

Fax: 859-323-1900


Is there an application fee?

There is a $50 non-refundable application fee to be submitted with your the application. Please note that your application will NOT be processed without this fee. You may submit the fee at the Graduate & Family Housing Online Payments site. If you are unable to complete the credit card transaction, please note on your application.


I sent an application for housing to your office. How do I verify that you received it?

Our office should send you an email confirming that we have received and processed your housing application. This is NOT an automated response and may be delayed during peak periods. If you do not receive this email within a couple of weeks, please contact our Front Desk Associate. She can be reached by email at: or by telephone at: 859-257-3721.


When will I know if I have a confirmed reservation?

If an apartment is available, we will notify you via email at least 30-days before your requested move-in date. If you do have not hear from us in that time, you should please contact our Reservation Associate, Jay Dunn, at


Do you have temporary housing that I can use if I get to Lexington earlier than my requested move-in date?

There really isn’t a definitive answer to this question, but we probably will not be able to provide temporary housing. On rare occasions, we may be able to assign you an earlier move-in date. Please call our office if you find that you will arrive sooner than you originally anticipated. If we cannot accommodate you, you will need to make alternate arrangements such as staying in a hotel or with a friend.


Are the residential units furnished?

Apartments designated as "furnished" will contain a stove, refrigerator, dining table and chairs, sofa, bed(s), end table, lamp, and desk. Specific furniture details and policies can be viewed on this Web site by clicking "Policies". 


Can I use my own furniture?

At your request, we can remove all of the university furniture so that you can use your own. If you only want to use your own bed(s), we will remove our beds at your request. We will not remove individual pieces of furniture other than the bed(s). 

If you plan to use your own furniture, please let us know when you apply. You must let us know a minimum of 5 days in advance of your confirmed move-in date. If your request is made less than 5-days in advance of your confirmed move-in date OR anytime after moving in, there will be a minimum (up to 1/2-hour labor) $25.00 labor charge.

Can I use my washer and dryer or dishwasher in the residential unit?


Can I use my washer and dryer or dishwasher in the residential unit?

The only washers and dryers allowed are ones furnished by Graduate and Family Housing in a few select locations.


What laundry facilities are available?

The Shawneetown complex has a laundry room in every building. There is one central laundry facility in Commonwealth Village, Greg Page and 625 S. Limestone. The laundry machines use a debit or credit card reader.


How can I pay rent and other charges?

Payment can be made on-line using a Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover credit or debit cards. This payment option is accessed from our Web page: You will click the "graduate and family" tab then you will choose the "online payment" option from the menu.

Payment can be made in the Graduate and Family Housing office during regular business hours. We do not accept cash. Payment can be made using your Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover credit or debit card, personal check, traveler's check, or money order.

We will not process a refund when your payment exceeds the amount owed. Any excess payment will be applied as a credit toward your next month's rent.

Security deposits must be paid in the Housing office.


Do I have to pay utilities?

Water, sewer, and electric are included in your rent monthly payment. Rent MAY include basic cable and internet. Your university ID will be used to access the Internet.


What do I need to do to get my telephone service?

Telephone service for the apartment complex located at 625 S. Limestone will be established through the provider for the city of Lexington. In Commonwealth Village, Greg Page, and Shawneetown telephone service is established through the University of Kentucky.


What should I bring with me?

You will need all basics items such as dishes, cooking utensils, pots and pans, linens, blankets, towels, wash cloths and so on. If you are coming to the United States from another country, you may want to wait and purchase many of these items until after you move into into your apartment. You will also have to supply your own telephone, computer, television, stereo and microwave; cleaning tools (mop, broom, vacuum) and cleaning supplies.  Please NOTE; dishwashers and washing machines are NOT allowed. You will also need a CAT-5 cable. This is the cable that connects your computer to the modem. It is not provided by Graduate and Family Housing.


What should I do if I do not arrive during your office hours?

You will receive after-hours key pick up instructions via email shortly before your arrival.


When will I sign my paperwork?

If you arrive during normal office hours, you will sign your paperwork and pick up your apartment and mailbox keys at that time. If you arrive after-hours, you must come to the office to sign your paperwork on the first business day following your move in. Please bring all apartment occupants that are 18-years of age or older with you as anyone over 18 years of age MUST sign the License Agreement as well.


Do I have to move out of the residential unit in the summer or at the end of the semester?

Not as long as you will be a full-time student for the upcoming fall semester and you are a first or second year Licensee. Most third year licensees will be able to remain with Graduate and Family Housing. This will be subject to availability as first and second year Licensees will be given first priority. Residents in the fourth year of their License Agreement will most likely have to move off-campus. Should there be an excess of available apartments, fourth year residents may be offered an opportunity to participate in a lottery for remaining vacancies.


Will I have a roommate?

Graduate and Family Housing does not assign roommates. Single graduate students may elect to have a roommate of their choosing. The roommate must meet our full-time student eligibility requirements. Both must sign a License and other housing paperwork which makes you "jointly and severally" responsible for the terms of the License Agreement.


Can my domestic partner live in the residential unit with me?

Same or opposite gender individuals may reside as roommates provided BOTH meet the full-time student eligibility requirements as defined on this web site or in the "Resident Handbook."


I will have an automobile. Is parking available? How much does it cost?

All of our apartment communities have their own designated parking area. Parking lots are maintained and operated by the UK Transportation Services. Their Web site address is: Residents can apply for their parking permit on-line. Your hangtag will only allow you to park in your assigned community. All information about parking at the University (including rates) can be found on this Web site. Short term guests, and guests of residents must go to the Parking Department to obtain a temporary parking permit.