Community of Scholars
The Community of Scholars (comprised of Lewis, Haggin, Donovan and Johnson Residence Halls) is available for any student — whether a member of the Lewis Honors College or not — who is interested in living and learning in a community dedicated to enriching their academic experiences in order to grow intellectually, personally, and socially.
The Community of Scholars is a collaboration between the staff and faculty of the Lewis Honors College and members of the UK Residence Life staff.
Benefits of Participating
This community focuses on ensuring that every student finds an opportunity for engagement through participation in a variety of high-impact, academically rigorous programs that promote interaction with other students, faculty, and staff.
As a member of the Community of Scholars, a student will have access to a broad range of academic and social experiences — from engaging with world leaders on a variety of subjects to having donuts with the Dean.
Students in this distinctive community also will be directly involved in the development of programs by planning and participating in roundtable discussions and programs such as “Open Mic” Nights, Film Nights, Hikes to the Red River Gorge, Podcasts, and Drum Circle, to name a few.
Other student-led initiatives include Study Groups and other social groups that are created and led by Peer Mentors and Residential Assistants. These are open to all students in the Community of Scholars.
The goal is for members of the Community of Scholars to become life-long learners as they aspire to live a balanced life of academics, wellness, and leadership in their communities and society beyond the UK experience. At the University of Kentucky, we believe it is our responsibility to prepare students for lives of meaning and purpose.
Events and Programming
Programming for the Community of Scholars offers co-curricular activities, including:
- The Lewis Lecturer Series, CommuniTEAS (where members of the greater Lexington community participate in discussions about important issues);
- Book readings/signings with authors across campus or from the Lexington community;
- Engaging lectures or film screenings with discussions; and
- Scholars participating in a variety of co-sponsored programs with the Residential Life staff that include health and well-being programming as well as numerous "just for fun" programming, including cooking classes and yoga.
Peer Mentors and Resident Advisors are the lifeblood of the Community of Scholars. They plan and carry out great programing, get to know students individually and help foster a true sense of community.
- Students who participate in the Community of Scholars are highly motivated, academically oriented students.
- The Community of Scholars is one of the most popular residential communities on campus, with many students returning to live in our community throughout their college career. Students admitted to the Lewis Honors College are encouraged to apply to join the Community of Scholars. Students who are not admitted to the Lewis Honors College are also encouraged to apply!
- Admission to the Community of Scholars is highly competitive, so please apply as soon as possible.
- Please note that admission to the Lewis Honors College does NOT guarantee automatic placement in the Community of Scholars or its Residential Facilities (Lewis Hall, Donovan & Johnson Hall, and Haggin Hall).
- Admission to the Community of Scholars does NOT reflect admission to the Lewis Honors College.
- Participants in the Community of Scholars are permitted to have roommates not affiliated with the Lewis Honors College.
The Community of Scholars does not require connected courses associated with living in our community.
All students who participate in the Community of Scholars reside in Donovan, Johnson, Haggin, and Lewis Hall. These high-tech, state-of-the-art residence halls and learning centers are located on central campus, right across from the W.T. Young Library and in easy walking distance to dining in K-Lair, The 90, and Starbucks.
To access the UK Housing Application, click here.