Budgets are useful for planning your operation, developing a realistic business plan, applying for financing or grants, and evaluating potential crops.
Fruits and Vegetables
Vegetable and Melon Budgets (2013), University of Kentucky (.xlsm)
- Includes the following Crops:
|Cabbage||Pepper, Bell||Sweet Corn|
|Muskmelon||Squash, summer||Watermelon, Seedless|
Blackberry Cost and Return Estimates for Kentucky (ID-149), University of Kentucky (PDF)
Asparagus Production Budget for Kentucky (2016), University of Kentucky (PDF)
Blueberry Budgets for Kentucky (2014), University of Kentucky:
Strawberry Profitability Estimated Costs and Returns for Kentucky, University of Kentucky (PDF)
Tomato, Sample Budget for Small-Scale Operations, University of Tennessee Extension (.xlsm)
2016 Kentucky Grape Costs and Returns: Budget Summaries and Assumptions, University of Kentucky (PDF)
Grape Production Budgets for Kentucky (2016), University of Kentucky:
Table Grape Varieties (PDF)
Wine Grape Regional Marketing and Price Outlook (2011), University of Kentucky (PDF)
Winery and Vineyard Feasibility Workbooks, Iowa State University Extension
Nursery, Greenhouse, and Ornamental Crops
Greenhouse Cost of Production Budgets, Rutgers Cooperative Extension
- For bedding plants, fuschia, geraniums, New Guinea Impatiens, potted mums and garden mums, from
Virtual Grower, USDA
- An energy cost calculator for greenhouse growers.
Pot-in-pot System Cash Flow Worksheet (2009), University of Kentucky (.xls)
Ornamental Gourd Production in Kentucky, University of Kentucky (PDF)
Other budgets and budgeting tools
Potential Profits from a Small-Scale Shiitake Enterprise, University of Kentucky (PDF)
Beginning Farmer Center and Leopold Center Enterprise Budgets, Iowa State University
- Numerous fruit, vegetable, nursery, and other crop budgeting tools that could be adapted to Kentucky.
Clemson University Enterprise Budgets, Clemson University
- Enterprise budgets for specialty crops that could be adapted to Kentucky. Some overlap with UK's Fruit and Vegetable Budgets above.