Student Account Services
Late Payment Fee Appeals
Late payment fee appeals are reviewed for the following reasons:
- University Error
- Delay in Financial Aid
- Payment delays due to outside scholarships, VA, 3rd party processing
- Banking errors
- Student hardship/illness
Late Payment Fee Appeals must go through a formal appeal process.
A committee will review these monthly and notify students if their appeal has been denied or granted.
The Office of Financial Aid or other University departments must provide written notification of error before such appeals will be granted .
Financial Ombud Services
- Financial Ombud Services were initiated as an avenue of assistance to help students who are having financial difficulties at the University of Kentucky.
- The Financial Ombud works one on one with students and parents to identify and resolve financial problems affecting payment of tuition and fees and enrollment.
How Can The Financial Ombud Help Me?
- Provide a neutral and confidential setting to listen and identify tuition/fee payment and financial problems.
- Explain student billing/deadline policies and procedures.
- Assist students with Financial Aid problems and processes.
- Assist students and parents who are experiencing financial hardships with establishing special payment arrangements.
- Assist students who are unable to register for classes because of financial hardships.
- Explain Financial Aid and Registration appeal processes and make referrals as needed.
- Counsel and make recommendations and referrals for financial assistance.
What the Financial Ombud Cannot Do
- Release or reduce any financial obligations to the University. Students become financially obligated to the University for tuition and fees upon registering for classes.
- By signing the housing contract students become financially obligated to the University for their assessed housing and dining charges.
When should I consult the Financial Ombud?
- If you incur difficult financial problems that affect payment of your tuition, housing, and dining fees.
- If you are considering withdrawing from and/or not attending the University of Kentucky due to financial problems.