How to Withdraw

You may cancel your registration before the first day of classes by using myUK.

All students, including degree seeking, non-degree seeking, and visiting students, who wish to leave the university must formally withdraw via one of the five methods listed below:

  1. withdrawing in person at the Registrar's Office in 10 Funkhouser Building;
  2. requesting withdrawal from course work via UK email account (;
  3. requesting withdrawal from course work via fax;
  4. mailing your withdrawal request to the Registrar's Office; and
  5. drop or withdraw from courses using myUK. (Student cannot withdraw from their final class; see options 1 - 4 to withdraw from your final class) .


In person: A student is required to come to 10 Funkhouser Building between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday and complete an Authorization to Withdraw card. Additional signatures may be required depending upon the student's enrollment status. The date noted on the Authorization to Withdraw card will serve as the student's official withdrawal date.

Email/Fax request: There are circumstances in which a student cannot physically appear to withdraw. For these cases, the Registrar's Office will accept an emailed (from the student's UK email account) or faxed request for withdrawal. The date of the email/fax will serve as the official date of the withdrawal. The fax number is (859) 257-7160.  Emails should be sent to the records officer based on the student's last name and must be sent directly from your UK email account (; or

  • A - G: Michaella Dowell
  • H - Q: Retha Sandlin
  • R - Z: Tasha Jones

    The information needed for the email/fax request is:

    • full name
    • student number
    • list of courses
    • term
    • date
    • signature
    • phone number

    Mail request: The student may mail a written request for withdrawal to the Registrar's Office. The address is:

    Student Records
    10 Funkhouser Building
    University of Kentucky
    Lexington, KY 40506-0054

    The postmark will serve as the official date of the withdrawal. Information for withdrawal via mail is identical to that of the fax request.

    Note: After the last official day to withdraw from a term, the student must start the withdrawal process beginning with the dean of the student's college. (Senate Rule, V.1.8.3). A student should contact his/her college's student services office for more details concerning this process.

    Cancelled Courses

    • If a course in which you are enrolled is cancelled, you will be notified promptly by email from the Registrar's Office.
    • After this date, departments cancelling courses are instructed to post the cancellation on the classroom door.