KGS Home > Maps and GIS
Geospatial Data Library
The Kentucky Geological Survey and other state and federal agencies have electronic maps and GIS data that you can download for your use. Unless otherwise indicated, KGS GIS data are in shapefile format (download as a zip file). All the KGS datasets, unless explicitly noted, are in latitude and longitude, decimal degrees, NAD 83.
- Georeferenced Imagery and Scanned Maps: Links to scanned, georeferenced topographic, geologic, imagery, and other maps.
- Political and Physical Boundary Data: Maps (coverages) showing political boundaries, map indexes, regions, area development districts (ADD's), grids.
- Geology and Soils data: Geologic coverages of the state, oil and gas wells, coal exploration sites.
- Hydrology Data: Hydrologic and watershed coverages, water wells, karst dye traces, wetlands, NHD streams in Kentucky.
- Kentucky Single Coordinate Conversion Tool: convert a valid KY location to commonly-used projections.
- Quick Converter: convert latitude/longitude in DMS to decimal degrees.
Contact Information: If you have any questions regarding the GIS information provided by the Kentucky Geological Survey, please contact Doug Curl, telephone (859) 323-0519, fax (859) 257-1147, Kentucky Geological Survey, 228 Mining and Mineral Resources Building, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40506-0107.
Other non-KGS sites related to Kentucky GIS: