FERPA for Parents/Guardians

FERPA information for Parents/Guardians:

The Office of the Registrar is responsible for maintaining student academic records.  The information provided on these pages is provided as a tool to answer your general questions and to guide you in discussions with your student.  The information is not intended to include all academic policies and procedures.

1)  What is the Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA)?  The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, as amended, is  a federal law that protects the privacy and confidentiality of personally identifiable  information contained within student education records. The University of  Kentucky complies with FERPA's confidentiality protections and adheres to  procedures dealing with student education records and directory information  recommended by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and  Admissions Officers. This law applies to K-12 as well as postsecondary  education and is commonly known as the Buckley Amendment.

2)  Can I access my student's academic records?  FERPA rights transfer to the student at the age of 18 or enrollment in a higher education institution regardless of age.  At the post-secondary level, parents have no inherent right to access or inspect their student's educational records.  The right of access is limited solely to the student. 

3)  Can I receive my student's grades?  Mid-term grades, final grades, transcripts, and other indicators of classroom performance are examples of the confidential information that make up part of a student's educational record.  This information is protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA); parents do not have access to it unless the student chooses to provide the information.  Students can view their semester grades and unofficial transcript online via myUK, and share the records with a parent if they so choose.  If an official transcript is needed, the student can submit a transcript request.

4)  Paying the bill.  It can sometimes be hard to accept the fact that a parent's decision to pay for their student's education does not supersede the student's academic privacy rights under FERPA.  Regardless if  a third party is financing their education, the right of access still remains with the student.  However, an open line of communication between parent and student can help facilitate the exchange of information.

5)  How can I receive a Verification of Enrollment or Degree for my student?  There are times when formal verification of a student's enrollment, GPA, or a degree earned is needed (for a student loan deferment, good student insurance discounts, coverage on parents' insurance, potential employment, etc.).  UK participates in the National Student Clearinghouse, providing enrollment data that is accessible by various loan companies for the purpose of loan deferments.  If an enrollment verification is needed for another purpose, the student must initiate the request and authorize the release of their information.


For student FERPA/privacy information and forms, please visit this website.

For additional information, please visit the U.S. Dept. of Education website at: http://familypolicy.ed.gov/ferpa-parents-students?src=ferpa-p