International Travel

International Travel Registry

In order to ensure coverage under UK's international travel medical insurance and evacuation plan, all faculty and staff traveling outside the United States in the course and scope of UK employment or representation should register their international travel with the UK International Center. The travel registry allows UK officials to quickly and proactively reach out to you in the event of an emergency overseas, and helps to facilitate the authorization process for claims made in your name to the insurance company.  Please visit in order to register.

International Travel Medical Insurance & Evacuation Coverage

All UK employees traveling abroad in the course and scope of UK employment, enrollment or representation are eligible for coverage under the University's blanket travel medical insurance and evacuation policy. This coverage extends to family members and guests of faculty and staff who may be traveling with them on the same trips. It is a benefit covered by the University, and no costs are incurred by the travelers for the coverage. Coverage is not available for employees or students who are traveling solely for personal reasons (e.g., vacations). A description of what is offered under this plan, as well as access to the full summary of benefits, can be found at this link.

In the event of a natural or political disaster in your host country, all travelers covered by this policy are eligible for evacuation service. The evacuation service will coordinate any pay to evacuate you to the nearest place of safety, or to the U.S. If you have a security concern or require evacuation, seek shelter as soon as possible and call AXA Assistance at 1-312-935-3542. Then call the UK Police Department at 1-859-257-8573, who will relay your information to the appropriate authorities on campus. Both AXA Assistance and the UK Police Department's phone lines are staffed at all times. Work-related injuries and some illnesses that occur while abroad on UK business are covered by Workers' Compensation, and should be reported to UK Workers' Care. See UK HR Policy #96.0 for more information, or report an incident at 1-800-440-6285.

For travel to areas where the U.S. Department of State has issued a Level 4 Travel Advisory, University of Kentucky Long Term Disability coverage requires registration with the UK International Center and approval by the President, Provost, or an Executive Vice President.  Contact Jason Hope, Director of International Health, Safety & Security at for further information on this requirement. 

Non-Academic Groups Traveling Internationally with Students

In order to ensure compliance with Administrative Regulation 4:9, all UK faculty and staff traveling abroad with students are required to submit their travel plans for review by the UK International Center and UK Risk Management. To start this process, please begin the appropriate registration at  

Non-credit group travel will be billed a non-refundable Risk Management fee of $50 per participant. All participants who are not full-time UK employees, regardless of group size, will be billed $10.50 per week for coverage under UK's international travel medical insurance and evacuation plan. These costs should be included in any budgetary information distributed to the participants. Please direct any questions regarding this process to Jason Hope, Director of International Health, Safety & Security, at