CRVAW Violence Statement
A Message from the
Center for Research on Violence against Women
The Center is taking a moment to express its support and share resources available to anyone who has been affected by Sunday’s campus violence. The violence and racism that occurred on Sunday is inexcusable. As researchers, faculty within our Center have clearly documented the mental and physical health consequences of violence on victims including threats of violence and psychological aggression. Our mission is to find approaches to prevent interpersonal and community level.
Given our Center’s mission, we cannot tolerate this aggression on our campus. While the student’s inebriation did play a role in the incident, her behavior remains inexcusable. If you, or someone you know, has a substance use problem, is experiencing violence, or is experiencing difficulty after the event that took place on Sunday, please reach out using the following resources.
University of Kentucky - Crisis and Emergency Assistance
If you are experiencing a personal crisis, please call (859-257-8701) or come in to the UKCC in 104 Mandrell Hall, 635 S. Limestone, Monday-Friday 8am-4:30pm.
If you need to talk with a clinician after business hours, or on the weekend, holidays or university closings, you can call 859-257-8701, select option #1, and you will be connected to a mental health clinician.
If you are concerned about your physical safety or you feel you are at imminent risk of harming yourself or others, please call UK Police Department at 859-257-8573 (#8573 from a mobile phone) or 911 or go to your local hospital Emergency Department immediately.
Additional Crisis resources by phone:
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK
- Bluegrass Rape Crisis Center: 1-800-656-4673
- Trevor Project (LGBTQ): 1-866-488-7386
- Green House 17, 24 hour crisis hotline 1-800-544-2022
- National Disaster Distress Helpline (SAMSA) related to COVID-19: 1-800-985-5990 (also available in Spanish), for those who are hearing impaired or deaf: TTY number 1-800-846-8517
Crisis resources by text:
- Crisis Text Line, “go” to 741-741
- Trevor Project (LGBTQ), “start” to 678-678
- National Disaster Distress Helpline Text (SAMSA) related to COVID-19: text TalkWithUs to 66746
Crisis resources by online chat:
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
- Trevor Project (LGBTQ), https://www.thetrevorproject.org/get-help-now/
- For substance use: findhlepnowky.org
- VIP Center https://www.uky.edu > vipcenter