The University of Kentucky embarked on an intensive and comprehensive energy conservation program in July 2016. There are several specialists analyzing energy consumption on campus with the intent of optimizing usage to save money and support the university’s sustainability goals. The Energy Specialists will identify and implement many measures that save energy. However, the overall success of the program hinges on the support and engagement of the campus community. Towards that end, the following guidelines provide faculty and staff with the tools to support the program and shift the perspective from energy consumers to energy savers.
- Faculty and staff members should implement these guidelines while in their classrooms and/or offices.
- The UK Energy Specialists perform routine audits of all facilities and communicate the audit results to appropriate personnel.
- Classroom doors should remain closed when HVAC is operating. Ensure doors between conditioned space and non-conditioned space remain closed at all times (i.e. between hallways).
- The power management of all office machines shall be in accordance with the Information Technology Services guidelines.
- All unnecessary lighting in unoccupied areas will be turned off. Faculty and students should make certain that lights are turned off when leaving an empty classroom. Utilize natural lighting where appropriate. “Lights off in unoccupied areas” is the theme to spread around campus.
- All outside lighting shall be off during daylight hours unless required for a university sponsored event.
- Refrain from turning lights on unless definitely needed. Remember that lights not only consume electricity, but also give off heat that places an additional load on the air conditioning equipment.
HEATING AND COOLING
- The following heating and cooling season set points, as found in the Business Procedure Manual, are the standard for setting temperatures in facilities during occupied and unoccupied times.
Cooling Season Occupied Set Points1:
72°F - 74°F
Unoccupied Set Point:
Heating Season Occupied Set Points1:
68°F - 70°F
Unoccupied Set Point:
1 Set points are in accordance with ASHRAE 55 “Thermal Conditions for Human Occupancy”