Public Relations Team
The public relations team helps promote human interest stories, events, announcements, new facilities and programs, services, experts, research and awards via news releases on UKNow, UKNow emails, and through media advisories, social media accounts, blogs and news conferences. The PR team also acts as a liaison between the media and UK colleges and units. Our staff prepares members of the UK community for media interviews with best practices and talking points and assists news reporters with identifying sources and obtaining timely and accurate information relevant to the university. The PR team also manages crisis communication: communicating with media outlets, law enforcement, emergency management groups, students, employees and other stakeholders.
How do I share my department's story through UKPR&M?
- Contact your UKPR&M representative
- Schedule meeting with all stakeholders
- Your UKPR&M representative will help you determine the appropriate platform for your story — such as UKNow story, news conference, social media, news pitch, etc.
A UKNow story is a published news release that appears on the university's official news service website and is sent directly to news media outlets. During the creation and publishing of a release, UKPR&M:
- holds interviews and reviews reports, data and other supplementary information for UKNow story
- drafts news release in accordance with the UK Style Guide and coordinates photography or videography at their discretion
- submits draft release to stakeholders for review
- publishes story on UKNow on specified date
- provides report of resulting coverage
- can edit your written releases to adhere to university and Associated Press styles
A news conference is a live media event announcing a major development at UK or addressing a timely topic. UKPR&M provides these services:
- helps schedule location, date and participants
- arranges for technical support and conference materials
- drafts news release in accordance with the UK Style Guide and coordinators photography or videography at their discretion
- submits draft to stakeholders for review
- sends media advisory in advance
- publishes release on UKNow at time of news conference
- coordinates interviews following conference
Interesting, topical, or timely stories can be "pitched" directly to local, national or international media outlets, including print, broadcast and online media sources. In this case, UKPRM:
- holds interviews and reviews reports, data and other supplementary information for pitch
- helps determine appropriate media for story
- crafts and distributes pitch to media contacts
- If media are interested, UKPR&M representative coordinates interviews and provides videography or photography at their discretion
- If published, UKPR&M provides report of coverage
Other opportunites to share your story:
- Nominate a #seebluestory. This storytelling platform allows faculty, staff, students and alumni to share their personal experiences with UK.
- Spread news through one of many of UK's official social media accounts.
- Connect with a departmental communicator. Communications representatives for specific colleges within the university and UKHealthCare departments release publications for to their target audiences.