About the Internship
Wildcats at the Capitol
Gain Experience by Interning in Washington, DC
Internships provide a dynamic opportunity to gain real-world experience and apply classroom learning in a fast-paced, professional environment. Students spend 40 hours per week interning in a selected office or agency. Internship responsibilities vary depending on the needs and opportunities available in individual positions. Interns are responsible for collaborating with the onsite supervisor to identify and define their scope of responsibilities.
During the spring and fall semesters, the internship program and related coursework take place throughout the entire semester. During the summer, internship appointments vary in length by office, with some lasting the entire semester and others organized in 6-8 week-long terms. There are no DC-based classes during the summer term.
Internships start careers. Begin yours today!
Previous Internship Placements
UK students have worked with Members of Congress, Executive Branch agencies, private sector companies and non-profit/non-governmental organizations across Washington, DC. Some of these opportunities are facilitated through the program, while others are the result of students finding their own internships. Internships have included experiences with:
- Representative Andy Barr
- Governor Matt Bevin
- Representative Sanford Bishop
- House Majority Whip James Clyburn
- Representative James Comer
- Representative Brett Guthrie
- Representative Darin Lahood
- Representative Sheila Jackson Lee
- Representative Thomas Massie
- Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell
- Senator Rand Paul
- Senator Rob Portman
- Representative Hal Rogers
- Representative Harley Rouda
- House Democratic Budget Staff
- Department of Homeland Security
- Department of Transportation
- UPS Global Affairs
- The White House
- The Wilson Center
*The steering committee does not guarantee placement in the above listed offices.