Wildcats at the Capitol
Thank you for your interest in WilDCats at the Capitol. Admissions decisions for the program are made on a rolling basis until the program is full or the program application deadline is reached.
Prior to applying, students are strongly encouraged to visit the University of Kentucky's Career Center for feedback on their resume and cover letter.
Please click here for access to the application document.
The selection committee considers the following factors in addition to your cumulative GPA:
- Completed application
- Cover letter
- Transcript (unofficial transcript is accepted)
- One letter of recommendation from a UK faculty member (faculty should send letters to email@example.com) *Students who transfer to UK may send a letter of recommendation from a faculty member at previous attended university
- Interview with the selection committee
Please email all required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Things to Consider
- Begin filling out the application early. Before beginning your application, take time to paint a complete picture of your experience at the University of Kentucky and how the program will prepare you for your professional aspirations.
- Include all work and activities on your resume. Keep a log of leadership positions, community service, awards, employment and both college and non-college related activities.
- Prepare your essay. All applicants are required to provide a writing sample in the form of an essay. Work to include multiple references for a stronger argument. The legislative issue areas should be something about which you are passionate or interested. This helps the steering committee find an internship based around your interest.
- Consider your degree plan. While not required, you are highly encouraged to meet with your academic advisor to discuss how participation in a WilDCats internship could impact your degree plan. Please consider doing so prior to submitting your application and committing to an interview.
- Submit the application and supplemental documents. Submit your application before the deadline and make sure to include all required documents. Turn in your application and documents via email to email@example.com. Almost all your documents should be submitted together when turning in your application. Your letter of recommendation should be sent directly from the faculty member to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Next steps. Once you have submitted your completed application and all required documents, you will be contacted by a member of the steering committee. Qualified applicants will be asked to schedule an interview.
How to Excel
The University of Kentucky Writing Center assists students, faculty and staff with the process of composing essays and papers. The Writing Center offers free individual consultations that are confidential and tailored to the needs of the clients. You can make an appointment by clicking here.