Richard D. Andreatta is an Associate Professor in the Department of Communication Sciences & Disorders (CSD) and in the Rehabilitation Sciences Doctoral Program (RHB-DP), in the College of Health Sciences. Currently, Dr. Andreatta serves as the Director of Undergraduate Studies for the CSD department and is the Director of Undergraduate Research for the College of Health Sciences. Dr. Andreatta received his Ph.D. in Speech Physiology and Neural Science in 1999 from Indiana University, Bloomington. Postdoctoral work in animal laryngeal neurophysiology was completed at the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke at the National Institutes of Health, Bethesda MD. In 2019, Dr. Andreatta was elected as a Fellow of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA).
At the University of Kentucky, Dr. Andreatta is the co-director of the Laryngeal & Speech Dynamics Lab. This shared facility contains several specialized hardware and software systems for testing, recording and analyzing orofacial sensory perception, orofacial muscle force, vocal tract aerodynamics, and trigemino-facial mechanically evoked reflexes. Other capabilities of the LSD lab include stroboscopic laryngeal imaging (ridged and flex-scoping), EGG, acoustic analyses of speech, and respiratory kinematics. Dr. Andreatta is currently active in two research areas encompassing different aspects of vocal tract physiology and behavior in both animal and human models. Other areas of academic interest include activity-dependent neuroplasticity, dynamical systems theory, and cognitive neuroscience.
Dr. Andreatta teaches undergraduate courses in the Communication Sciences & Disorders major including: CSD 378 – Anatomy & Physiology of Speech, CSD 402 – Speech Sciences, and CSD 571 – Neural Bases of Speech & Language. He also teaches and mentors doctoral-level students in the RHB-DP in courses such as RHB 710 – Neuroplasticity in Rehabilitation Sciences, and in a variety of independent study experiences within the topical areas of communication neuroscience, sensorimotor integration, speech sensorimotor control, experience-dependent neuroplasticity, dynamic systems theory, and selectionist theories of brain dynamics.
Recent and Representative Peer-Reviewed Research Publications
- Dietrich, M., Andreatta, R.D., Jiang Y., & Stemple, J.C. (2019). Limbic and cortical control of phonation for speech in response to a public speech preparation stressor. Brain Imaging and Behavior. doi.org/10.1007/s11682-019-00102-x
- Angadi, V., McMullen, C., Andreatta, R., Dietrich, M., Uhl, T., & Stemple.J.C. (2019). Biobehavioral measures of presbylaryngeus. Journal of Voice
- Croake, D., Andreatta, R.D., & Stemple, J.C. (2019). Descriptive analysis of the interactive patterning of the vocalization subsystems in normal participants. Journal of Speech-Hearing-Language Research.
- Croake, D., Andreatta, R.D., & Stemple, J.C. (2018). Vocalization subsystem responses to a temporarily induced unilateral vocal fold paralysis. Journal of Speech-Hearing-Language Research. 61(3), 479-495.
- Bane, M., Brown, M. Angadi, V., Croake, D.J., Andreatta, R.D., & Stemple, J.C. (2018). Vocal function exercises for normal voice: With and without semi-occlusion. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 3:1-7. doi: 10.1080/17549507.2017.1416176.
- Etter, N.M., Van Meter, E.M., & Andreatta, R.D. (2017). Effects of ageing on orofacial fine force control and its relationship with parallel changes in sensory perception. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology. doi:10.1080/17549507.2017.1318303
- Andreatta, R.D., Stemple, J.C., Seward, T.S., & McMullen, C.A. (2017). Subcutaneous neurotrophin 4 infusion using osmotic pumps or direct muscular injection enhances aging rat laryngeal muscles. Journal of Visualized Experiments, doi:10.3791/55837
- Bane, M., Angadi, V., Dressler, E., Andreatta, R.D., & Stemple, J.C. (2017). Vocal function exercises for normal voice: The effects of varying dosage. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 1-9. doi: 10.1080/17549507.2017.1373858
- Croake, D., Stemple, J.C., & Andreatta, R.D. (2017). Immediate effects of the vocal function exercise semi-occluded mouth posture on glottal airflow parameters: A preliminary study. Journal of Voice, doi: 10.1016/j.jvoice.2016.08.009
- Stemple, J.C., Andreatta, R.D., Seward, T.S., Angadi, V., Dietrich, M., & McMullen, C.A. (2016). Enhancement of aging rat laryngeal muscles with endogenous growth factors. Physiological Reports, May;4(10). pii: e12798. doi: 10.14814/phy2.12798.
- Etter, N.M., Van Meter, E.M., Andreatta, R.D. (2016). The relationship between labial vibrotactile detection and pure-tone hearing thresholds in healthy, aging adults. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 18(1), 89-96. http://dx.doi.org/10.3109/17549507.2015.1060527
- Etter, N.M., Van Meter, E.M., Andreatta, R.D. (2014). Labial vibrotactile somatosensory perception: A pilot study in healthy aging versus young adult participants. Perceptual & Motor Skills, 118(3), 1-14.
- Croake, D., Uhl, T., Archer, S., Stemple, J., Andreatta, R. (2014). Reliability of clinical office-based laryngeal electromyography in vocally healthy adults. Annals of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, 123(4), 271-278.
- Hoch, M., Mullineaux, D.R., Andreatta, R.D., English, R.A., Medina-Mckeon, J.M., Mattacola, C.G., Mckeon, P.O. (2014). Effect of a 2-week joint mobilization intervention on single-limb balance and ankle arthrokinematics in those with chronic ankle instability. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation, 23(1), 18-26.
- Hoch, M.C., Andreatta, R.D., Mullineaux, D., English, R., McKeon, J., Mattacola, C., McKeon, P. (2012). A 2-week joint mobilization intervention improves self-reported function, range of motion, and dynamic balance in those with chronic ankle instability. Journal of Orthepaedic Research, 30(11), 1798-804.
- Dietrich, M., Andreatta, R.D., Jiang, Y., Joshi, A., Stemple, J.C. (2012). Preliminary findings on the relation between the personality trait of stress reaction and the central neural control of human vocalization. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 14(4), 377-389.
- Danzl, M.M., Etter, N.M., Andreatta, R.D., & Kitzman, P.H. (2012). Facilitating neurorehabilitation through principles of engagement. Journal of Allied Health, 41(1), 35-41.
- Hoch, M.C., McKeon, P.O., & Andreatta, R.D. (2012). Plantar cutaneous vibrotactile detection threshold alterations are present in those with chronic ankle instability. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 44(4), 666-672.
- McMullen C., Butterfield T., Dietrich M., Andreatta R.D., Andrade P., Fry L., & Stemple J. (2011). Chronic stimulation-induced changes in the laryngeal rodent muscle. Journal of Speech-Language-Hearing Research, 54(3), 845-853.
- Joshi A., Jiang Y., Stemple J., Archer S. & Andreatta R. (2011). Induced unilateral vocal fold paralysis and recovery rapidly modulates brain areas related to phonatory behavior: A case study. Journal of Voice, 25(2), e53-59.
- Andreatta R.D., Stemple J., Joshi A., & Jiang Y. (2010). Task-related differences in temporo-parietal cortical activation during human phonatory behaviors. Neuroscience Letters, 484(1), 51-55.
Chapters in Books
- Andreatta, R.D. (2019). Dystonia, Essential Tremor, and Parkinson's Disease - (Introduction to Chapter 5). In J. Stemple & E. Hapner, Voice Therapy: Clinical Case Studies. San Diego, CA: Plural Publishing.
- Andreatta, R.D., & Etter, N.M (2018). Sensory Systems. In B, Rousseau & R. Branski (Ed.), Anatomy and Physiology of Speech. New York, NY: Thieme Medical Publishers.
- Stemple, J., Fry, L., & Andreatta, R.D. (2013). Laryngeal Muscle Response to Neuromuscular Diseases and Specific Pathologies. In F. Andrade & L. McLoon (Ed.), Craniofacial Muscles. New York, NY: Springer.
- Dietrich, M., & Andreatta, R.D. (2011). The Applications of Surface Electromyography to Assess Stressor-Evoked Changes in Extralaryngeal Functioning. In E. Ma & E.Yu (Ed.), Handbook of Voice Assessments. San Diego, CA: Plural Publishing.
- Andreatta, R.D. (2010). Speech Science. In D.M. Ruscello (Ed.), Mosby’s Review Questions for the SLP PRAXIS Examination (pp. 48-59). New York, NY: Mosby-Elsevier Publishing.
- Barlow, S.M., Finan, D.S. Andreatta, R.D. & Boliek, C (2009). Kinematic measurement of the human vocal tract. In M. McNeil (Ed), The Clinical Management of Sensorimotor Speech Disorders (2nd ed) (pp. 80-99). New York, NY: Thieme Medical Publishers.
- Barlow, S.M., Andreatta, R.D., & Kahane, J. (1999). Muscle systems of the vocal tract. In S.M. Barlow (Ed.), Handbook of Clinical Speech Physiology (pp. 1-99). San Diego, CA: Singular.
- Barlow, S.M., Farley, G.R., & Andreatta, R.D. (1999). Neural systems in speech physiology. In S.M. Barlow (Ed.), Handbook of Clinical Speech Physiology (pp. 101-163). San Diego, CA: Singular.
- Barlow, S.M., Bradford, P.T. & Andreatta, R.D. (1999). Orofacial force physiology. In S.M. Barlow (Ed.), Handbook of Clinical Speech Physiology (pp. 303-346). San Diego, CA: Singular.
- University of Kentucky Great Teacher Award - University of Kentucky Alumni Association - 2017
- Kingston Award for Excellence in Teaching - College of Health Sciences, University of Kentucky - 2014
- Teacher Who Made a Difference Award - College of Education - University of Kentucky - 2013
- Finalist - Provost Outstanding Teaching Award - University of Kentucky - 2008