Travel Expense Policy

Welcome back!  Now that your trip is completed, an expense report must be submitted to account for the expenses incurred while on university business via payment methods such as the university procurement card and employee out-of-pocket expenses.  Please submit only one expense report per trip.  Pre-paid expenses may have already been submitted on a previous expense report, if so, you do not need to include those expenses on this travel expense report.  Your travel expense report should be submitted by the end of the month following the month the travel concluded.


Expense Reporting

Procurement Card

If you used the university procurement card issued in your name while traveling, these expenses will need to be included on your travel expense report.  It can take 3-8 business days for expenses to show up in Concur.  Please do not submit your expense report until all procard charges are available in Concur.

Procurement Card Receipts

If using the procurement card issued in your name, receipts are required to be attached when an expense amount is over $75, unless an expense is a business meal, airfare, hotel, car rental, or registration fee when a receipt is required regardless of the amount. If you have used the Concur Mobile app to capture receipts, those receipts will already be stored in the Receipt Store and Available Expenses section of Concur to add to a new or previously opened expense report.  Receipts can also be e-mailed to, prior to doing that, verify that your e-mail address in Concur is correct.  Receipts e-mailed to Concur will be available to use in the Receipts Store.  Receipts can also be manually uploaded to Concur when you are creating your expense report.

Miscellaneous Out-of-Pocket Expenses

Reimbursable expenses should be included on this expense report as well.  Itemized receipts are required for all out-of-pocket expenses regardless of the dollar amount.


Your hotel invoice should be attached to your expense report.  Itemization is required for lodging expense types.  Your lodging receipt must show the name of the traveler, the name of the hotel, dates of arrival and departure, room rate, type of credit card used for payment, payment for hotel charges and applicable taxes ("zero" balance).

Personal Vehicle Mileage

Based on the IRS Standard Business Mileage Rates, the University will reimburse 67 cents per mile (as January 2023) for University business travel by personal vehicle based on the actual driving distance by the most direct route (not more than 105% of the mileage listed on Google Maps). Mileage is reimbursed from the traveler's workstation to the destination, unless driving from the traveler's residence is closer. You can use Concur's Mileage Calculator to figure out your reimbursable mileages.


The fixed rate per diem amount for your destination determines your daily meal allowance (travel allowance).  To enter per diem on your expense report you will need to create or import an itinerary for this expense report.  Make sure to exclude any meals that were provided to you.  The university procurement card should not be used to pay for individual meals while traveling.  If for some reason the procard was used for individual meals while traveling you will need to mark that expense as personal and that amount will be deducted from your reimbursement.  If the amount to be reimbursed to the traveler does not cover all the personal expense, the difference will be deducted from the traveler's wages through the payroll system.

Per Diem

Meals and incidental expenses for domestic and foreign travels are paid using per diem rates established by the U.S. federal government (CONUS or OCONUS), based upon the traveler's destination for that date.  The University will reimburse meals and incidental expenses incurred on the first and last days of travel at 75% of the standard per diem rate regardless of what time the travel begins or ends.

Expense Allocations

The account number that is on the report header will be used for the entire report unless you use Allocations to assign expenses to a different cost object. Allocations can be added on the individual expense type form or from the Manage Expenses screen in Concur.

Expense Itemizations

Receipts can be itemized between multiple expense types in Concur. After entering the primary expense type on the expense type form, choose the Itemizations tab and enter as many different expense types as are needed for the receipt, ensuring that the total of the itemized expenses matches the total of the receipt. This itemization feature can be used even if there are multiple payment types or business purposes on the receipt. 

Over 60 Day Taxation

UK Travel Policy E-5-1 states that employees must complete and approve the Concur Travel Expense Report for all business expenses within 60 calendar days of the date when business travel ends to be considered a reasonable period of time.  If a Concur Travel Expense Report is returned due it being over 60 days the departments will be asked to complete an Over 60 Day Taxation Form and attach the completed form to the Concur Travel Expense Report.  On this form a tax exemption can be requested for the traveler. If the form is approved, the reimbursement will not be processed as taxable wages. If the form is not approved or an exemption is not requested, the reimbursement will be processed as taxable wages to the traveler.


Expense Reimbursement

Travel expenses not paid with the university procurement card should be submitted by the end of the month following the month the travel concluded.  Absent exceptional circumstances, travel expense reports approved by travelers more than 60 days from the last date of travel will be reported as taxable wages.  Reimbursements will be included on the employee's paycheck for the payroll period processed after the final approval is received on the travel expense report.