Resources and Training
Regulations & Forms
Quick Reference Cards
BPM E-5-1 Reimbursement of Travel Expenses
BPM E-5-2 Travel Advance and Repayments
Air vs. Auto Cost Comparison Form
Request for Historical Airfare Cost Comparison Form
Request for Exception to Business Procedures Form
International Registry & International Insurance
International Travel Documents
Transportation Security System (TSA)
Please register through myUK Learning to attend these three training classes offered by Travel Services.
- FAST Travel (Web-based training): In this class, you will learn the procedures/policy for making official University business travel arrangements (air/hotel/rental car) through Travel Services.
- Concur Online Booking Tool (WebEx presentation): In this class, you will learn how to use Concur, UK's online travel reservation system, to make your official University business travel arrangements. Upon completion of this class, you will have created your Travel Profile and will be able to make an airline, hotel and car reservation. You will benefit most from this class if two monitors are used – one for the WebEx presentation and one for hands-on operation of Concur.
- Advanced Concur Online Booking Tool (WebEx presentation): In this class, you will learn to use Concur’s advanced features to include booking multiple travelers, sharing and cloning reservations, creating templates, and requesting e-receipts for hotel and car expenses. This is a discussion/hands-on computer class. You will benefit most from this class if two monitors are used – one for the WebEx presentation and one for hands-on operation of Concur. Participants in this class are required to be experienced Concur users.
Travel Services training schedule for 2023:
|Training Class||Date||Time||Location||Maximum Participant|
|Concur Online Booking Tool||04/20/23||8:30am||Workstation||30|
|Advanced Concur Online Booking Tool||04/20/23||10:30am||Workstation||30|
|Concur Online Booking Tool||06/01/23||10:30am||Workstation||30|
|Concur Online Booking Tool||08/24/23||8:30am||Workstation||30|
|Advanced Concur Online Booking Tool||08/24/23||10:30am||Workstation||30|
|Concur Online Booking Tool||10/19/23||8:30am||Workstation||30|
|Concur Online Booking Tool||12/14/23||8:30am||Workstation||30|
|Advanced Concur Online Booking Tool||12/14/23||10:30am||Workstation||30|
I have a question about a Concur Travel Expense report that I submitted. Who should I contact?
Accounts Payable Services processes all Concur Travel Reports. They can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Is travel insurance allowable?
No, travel insurance of any kind is not allowable on the procard or for reimbursement.
What travel expenses are allowable on the UK Procurement card?
- Airfare (If the airfare includes personal travel, the procard is allowable to be used only if the business combining personal travel is less than the cost comparison for the business only airfare)
- Seat fees
- Other airline fees
- Lodging (excluding personal expenses such as room service, movies, mini bars)
- Rental Cars (Only if the card is in the name of the person renting the car)
- Ground transportation
Can departments pay for or reimburse an employee for the cost of getting a passport?
No, this is not an allowable or reimbursable expense.
What is considered “personal travel”?
Personal travel is identified as any choice the traveler makes other than purchasing a roundtrip ticket for official University business travel. Personal travel choices involve travel dates, destinations, detours, upgradable fares, originating airports other than the traveler’s workstation airport, or any choices that is not considered an official University business travel choice. Choosing to drive over 500 miles one way is also considered personal travel.
When do I need to complete a Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) form?
Travelers who drive rental cars, motor pool cars, or personal vehicles for official University business must have a Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) form on file with the University’s Risk Management department. That form can be found here.
Is airfare required to be purchased through a UK Travel vendor (Concur, AAA, or Avant)?
Currently all international airfare is required to be booked through a UK travel vendor. Domestic airfare can be booked through an alternate vendor, but the preferred method is to use a UK travel vendor.
A traveler booked international airfare through an alternate vendor, what do we need to do?
A cost comparison will need to be obtained to see what the cost would have been if the tickets were purchased through a UK vendor and a request for an exception to business procedures form will need to be submitted to UFS@uky.edu.
When do I need to obtain a valid cost comparison?
Cost comparisons are required when the travel involves personal travel, driving more than 500 miles one way to a business location and if international airfare is booked through an alternate vendor.
How do I obtain a valid cost comparison?
Cost comparisons need to be obtained the same day the actual tickets are purchased. Cost comparisons can be secured through Concur Travel or through UK’s travel vendors, AAA, or Avant. Click here for more information on cost comparisons.
What happens if we did not obtain a valid cost comparison on the same day the actual tickets were purchased?
A request for a historical airfare cost comparison form will need to be submitted to Travel Services along with a copy of the airfare receipt for the actual airfare booked. Travel Services will work with AAA to pull what the airfare would have been for business only travel on the date the actual tickets were purchased.
What do I do if my flight is cancelled while traveling?
- If you purchased your ticket through UK designated travel vendor AAA or Concur at 859-323-5354 or Avant Travel at 859-233-0000, please call the respective agency 24/7 and an agent will be glad to re-accommodate you.
- If your canceled ticket credit is not used for your new ticket at that time, AAA or Avant will advise you of the rules to use the credit for future travel or if the airline will refund the cancelled portion of the ticket instead.
- If your flight is cancelled when you are at the airport, you may be instructed to stand in line and the airline gate agent will re-accommodate you. If so, while in line, go ahead and call either AAA or Avant and by talking to an agent you may get serviced quicker.
- If you purchased your ticket through an alternate vendor (e.g. Delta.com, Expedia, Fly Away Travel), then you will need to call the vendor/airline directly to assist you.
- If your canceled ticket credit is not used for your new ticket at that time, the agent should be able to advise you how to use the credit for future travel or if the airline will refund the canceled portion of the ticket instead.
- If your flight is cancelled when you are at the airport, you will need to be re-accommodated by one of the respective airline agents on site.
Are Airbnb’s allowed for employee/faculty to book when traveling for UK business instead of a hotel?
Yes, Airbnb’s are allowable for UK business travel. The department needs to make sure that what they book is reasonable to meet their business needs. For example, it would not be reasonable to book a 4 bedroom house so they can bring their family. Also, if the Airbnb host charges them any damage fees, additional guests fees or something not usually charged by hotels, that would be considered a personal expense and the traveler would be responsible.
Do hotels need to be booked through a UK Travel Vendor?
Hotels are not required to be booked through a UK Travel vendor.
Rental Car FAQ's
How do I book a 12-15 passenger van?
Passenger vans are not available to be booked through the Concur Online Booking tool. You will need to contact a local rental car branch directly to book a passenger van.
Can we use a departmental procard to book a rental car for an employee?
Rental car companies do not allow credit card authorizations forms, meaning they will not accept a procard in one name, to pay for the rental car in another’s name. The renter must present a credit in their name when the car is picked up.
Is it allowable to purchase collision damage insurance or additional insurance coverage for a rental car?
- For domestic rental cars, liability and physical damage coverage is included in the University’s Fleet Insurance policy. Therefore, the purchase of rental car insurance is not an allowable or reimbursable expense.
- For international car rentals, the purchase of collision damage waiver (CDW) for physical damage to the vehicle is allowable and reimbursable. Many international car rental incidents are harder to resolve than domestic incidents and taking additional insurance can help resolve such issues with less difficulty. Also, many foreign countries require travelers to take additional insurance to be able to rent a car. Questions regarding rental car insurance can be directed to the University’s Risk Management Department at 257-3708.
Are additional driver charges for rental cars allowable and reimbursable?
If the additional driver charge is for a family member this is not an allowable charge on the procard or to be reimbursed by the University.
Quick Reference Cards
Obtaining a Cost Comparison in Concur
Assigning a Travel Assistant/Arranger