Leadership and duties
Patrick Kitzman, PT, PhD
Associate Dean for Research (ADR)
- Mentors faculty in developing their research agendas, identifying resources, including funding opportunities, and establishing collaborations
- Represents the college on university-wide research committees
- Appoints and Chairs the Research Advisory Committee (RAC)
- Oversees allocation of the CHS research support budget, including
- Enrichments Funds from F&A
- Research Office distribution of salary recovery
- Wethington Awards
- Oversees selection of college research awards in consultation with the RAC
- Robinson Awards for Graduate Student Research Creativity
- CHS Awards for Excellence in Research
- Organizes annual CHS Research Day, monthly Grantsmanship Colloquia, and other research-related speakers and activities
- Assists with new faculty start-up requests
- Provides ongoing consultation and review of grant proposals
- Oversees grant management, tracking, and reporting
- Provides support and assistance with research study coordination and statistical support
- Consults on compliance issues
Betsy Northrup, MPA, CRA
Director of Extramural Support
- Seeks and communicates funding opportunities from various federal, state, private foundation and university funding sources
- Develops and maintains a comprehensive college grant calendar to anticipate upcoming opportunities
- Works with faculty to identify specific funding opportunities to support research and programs
- Manages pre-award proposal activities
- Works with principal investigators and project leads to develop high quality grant proposals, including narrative, supporting documents, and attendant forms
- Leads grant teams and writing when appropriate
- Provides expert guidance on the proposal process appropriate to each sponsor
- Manages effort system for sponsored faculty
- Tracks and presents results of external funding efforts, including submissions, awards, and expenditures
- Provides ad hoc reporting (both financial and other) for a variety of consumers, including Dean, Associate Dean of Research, Assistant Dean of Operations, and faculty
College Grants Officer
- Works with PIs to prepare submission ready grant proposal budgets
- Manages the internal approval (eIAF) process for the college
- Reviews prepared grant proposal packages for compliance with sponsor guidelines and university policy and submits them to UKRF for the Research Administrator to review, obtain the official institutional signature, and submit to the sponsor
- Serves as college liaison with Office of Sponsored Projects Administration and Sponsored Projects Accounting
- Provides guidance on sponsor and university compliance issues
- Prepares paperwork required for subcontracts in pre and post award grant administration
- Prepares budget revisions and other post-award changes to the grant account
- Oversees post-award grant administration
- Manages financial aspects of grant accounts (e.g. order forms, travel forms, and payroll)
- Prepares regular financial reports to PI's regarding active grant accounts
- Works with Director of Extramural Support to update DOEs for faculty
Administrative Support Associate
- Administrative Support
- Provides administrative support to the Associate Dean for Research (ADR) and the Director of the Kentucky Appalachian Rural Rehabilitation Network (KARRN).
- Manages schedules: arranges meetings and events, travel, correspondence, and information-gathering.
- Assists the CHS Director of Extramural Support (DES) with data entry, tracking and management of grant activity and expenditures.
- Updates the Office of Research website.
- Expert in software programs, including Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Endnote.
- Provides support for the CHS Undergraduate Research Program.
- Financial Oversight
- Manages Research Office accounts, including the pilot study program.
- Orders research-related supplies and services.
- Oversees research facilities and equipment for maintenance, service, and upgrades.
- Special Projects
- Organizes Annual CHS Research Day events.
- At the discretion and direction of the ADR and DES, assists with diverse projects and activities.
- Creates and assembles promotional material and specific informational resources to promote CHS research across campus and in the broader community.